Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a simple question.
Is the inside of the ProMaster van wide enough at the widest point to put a bed across the back to sleep with head and feet toward the sides?
I would like to build mine with a permanent raised platform bed in back but I'm not sure if this can be done.

Thank
Brandon

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am setting up BoB with two bunks across the back. I think interior width at the beltline is just under 6', it tapers slightly as you go up.

I'm 5'8" and can sleep fine on our lower platform (right at beltline level). If you're approaching 6' or more, it might get a bit annoying not being able to stretch out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our new 2016 Promaster Van converted to a Class B Motorhome by Sportsmobile has a 2 person platform bed at the rear in which we sleep across the width of the van. The top of mattress is 27" above the floor and the bed is exactly 6'-1" clear sleeping length inside the finished wall panelling. We are 5'-7" and 5'-2" tall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's how I did mine. I am 6'1" and sleep crossways. I put it about 30 or 32" up and ended up 48" wide and about 74" long with storage below.

I have a window on one side and on the other side I have paneling. I did not put the paneling all the way out, but recessed it to get the max room.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
My build also has transverse sleeping... traditional opposing bench seats with a table that drops down to form a double bed. Seat/bed height is approx. 21" above the floor so my bed is 72" long... it is a little shorter since I put in 3/4" reinforcement panels at the head & foot since I knew the wall would get pushed when sleeping.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I have a simple question.
Is the inside of the ProMaster van wide enough at the widest point to put a bed across the back to sleep with head and feet toward the sides?
I would like to build mine with a permanent raised platform bed in back but I'm not sure if this can be done.

Thank
Brandon
How tall are you? Sorry to have to ask a question when you wanted an answer but without knowing your height I'd have to say..... depends!
My across bed is 6'2" and reaches across the van to the factory panels, which I suggest anyone who is building a conversion buy, you can isnulate behind them and paint or cover them for a finished interior.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I agree 5 8" perfect, if you are 6 feet you need to sleep diagonal. It's a tight if you are over 5 10" if you have panels for sure. If your bed is super high at the windows you get a few more inches, but that would be a really high bed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for not answering sooner I have been away. I'm right at 6 feet. Wife is 5'6". Not worried about having the bed up high as I want under bed storage from the back doors. What ever van I get I will build a temp bed platform and try it out before I decide on bed placement.

·
Super Moderator
10,198 Posts
I think you will discover the promaster is the widest of the three.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted pictures of my build with a 48" wide bed across the back. I think it is about 32" high. I can sit up in the bed without hitting my head. I placed it just where the horizontal bars are to get the max width.

I have a window on one side and recessed panels on the other to also get the max width. I split my storage with drawers that face the cabin, and drawers and storage accessible from the back doors.

The Promaster is the widest of the three with the Ford Transit not far behind for width.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just looked at the pictures of your van and the bed is just like what I want. I want it low enough to sit without hitting my head but as high as I can before the van starts to get narrow. I do not think I will have any access to under the bed from inside, that will all be from outside thru the rear doors. A good place for all our junk. To finish off the inside I will have some form of kitchen area with 2 burner stove and small sink plus fridge. Then a cassette toilet or porta-potty and a place to sit and eat. Nothing fancy just functional. I will have overhead cabinets down both sides.
I do want to add propane via a tank mounted to the frame and a water heater/furnace also mounted on the frame. No shower or grey water holding tanks.

I posted pictures of my build with a 48" wide bed across the back. I think it is about 32" high. I can sit up in the bed without hitting my head. I placed it just where the horizontal bars are to get the max width.

I have a window on one side and recessed panels on the other to also get the max width. I split my storage with drawers that face the cabin, and drawers and storage accessible from the back doors.

The Promaster is the widest of the three with the Ford Transit not far behind for width.

John

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Take a look at my build and plans (url below) as I did much of what you are planning plus found the room for a 54 inch bed, and a dinette/work table/reading space. I suggest you try to find a way not to do the gas as it takes up space, is expensive, can be dangerous and I doubt you need it if you won't have tanks. Mine are 5 gal and reside in the galley under the sink. I use a portable Butane stove which I like very much!
See:https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Butan...&qid=1466541988&sr=8-11&keywords=Butane+stove Just buy two if you really need them. We ended up not and one is fine. NO Propane in our van.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have RV'd for many years with external propane tanks and know the risks. Now that being said I have no problem not including it if I can get heat and Hot water without it. I already plan on using a 12V refrigerator, a couple of storage batteries and some solar panels on the roof. If I use some form of 12 heat how much battery is it going to kill overnight if the temps are in the 30's? I do plan on insulating as good as I can.
Then what about hot water? I only need like 1 or 2 gallons at most as we are not showering.
I was planning on using some kind of portable stove that I could use inside (With ventilation) and outside when camping. In or RV we cooked outside 80% of the time and almost never used the microwave or normal oven. I know I will not put the normal oven in but I may find a very small micro to use with the generator. I plan on having a 2000W gen with me.

Take a look at my build and plans (url below) as I did much of what you are planning plus found the room for a 54 inch bed, and a dinette/work table/reading space. I suggest you try to find a way not to do the gas as it takes up space, is expensive, can be dangerous and I doubt you need it if you won't have tanks. Mine are 5 gal and reside in the galley under the sink. I use a portable Butane stove which I like very much!
See:https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Butan...&qid=1466541988&sr=8-11&keywords=Butane+stove Just buy two if you really need them. We ended up not and one is fine. NO Propane in our van.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I opted for a diesel Espar furnace which is about $850-900 but no cost to self-install, uses VERY little fuel and is very quiet after startup. We looked at Propane having come from a pickup camper with it and a propane furnace but once we decided not to do that the higher priced furnace wasn't that much more with the savings. The 12 and 120 volt refrig. works great on our 200 watts of solar which are also very cheap- about $550. I would never go back to gas. That old gas furnace used to roar! and the hot water heater did too! I heat a couple of quarts of water at a time on the butane stove. I also have a grill/stove that uses the 1 lb propane cylinders for outside, a griddle and rack for heating a big pot. Very happy with the choices! Ditch the generator unless you have AC to run. What a relief to be free of that stuff! Best.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Fold...qid=1466609197&sr=8-14&keywords=coleman+grill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not planning on having a diesel engine so that heater is not going to work for me. So I would still need a heating solution. With Propane and could mount a combo furnace/water heater under the floor on the frame. Someone must make a nice frame mounted propane tank.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Wabasto makes a gasoline heater that is similar and a dual top that heats water and/or air. Espar and Wabasto have aux. tanks for diesel too but it is beginning to sound like you are going propane. There are folks here who have mounted propane. Check out this one: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47409&page=2 there are others search "propane tank" in the search box

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a gasser but I do not like gasoline heaters for safety reasons. I use an Espar D2 with a separate diesel tank. It uses just a couple of cups a night so a 3 to 5 gallon tank is ample. For hot water I have an Isotemp (Isotherm?) 4 gallon water heater that has a 750 watt 115 VAC element. Via my Prowatt SW 1000 inverter it draws about 80 amps from my house 8D (about 230 amp hours) battery. It heats the water in around 45 minutes so it is using maybe 60 amp hours. Assuming only half discharge the usable capacity is around 120 amp hours so heating the water uses significant power.

Generally I have used only some of the water but the remaining does cool down and needs to be reheated. Actually I try to remember to heat water while driving and the battery is being recharged. When I stop I thus have a full tank of hot plus the house battery is fully charged.

I feel much safer without propane aboard and I save the hassle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts