Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking up at the under carriage,trying to find where I am going to build a shelf,between the ribs for two auxiliary batteries,I am seriously thinking about completely removing the emergency parking brake wires and cable. Realistically,I never use the parking brake. If I ever had to,I would block the wheels. Cables & wires removed,would allow one to utilize a lot more available space underneath for storage. I want a big fresh water storage tank. Currently,the cables running down the middle are in the way. If they can not be rerouted off to the side, just completely remove them all together. Has anyone thought about this wild idea.!! or is it crazy.??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It's crazy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm guessing you live in a state without vehicle inspections? Don't think the van would pass if you disengaged the e-brake.

Not that it’s intended for this use, but what would happen if you lost your normal brakes headed downhill. You might wish you hadn't removed the ability to use it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Remove emergency brakes? Even if your transmission has a genuine 'Park' that locks the drive train you would be nearing certifiable.

If you have the automatic shift manual without a 'park' function then removing the e-brake would qualify you for a Darwin Award.

Now go find us an electric winching unit, like used on Ford 4WD transfer cases, to use instead of the lever & cables.

I'd like to find a way to lock-out vandals from releasing the mechanical parking brake on my auto-manual just for giggles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I never use parking brakes either because I've had experience with them sticking, but Promaster manual says to engage parking brake before shifting to Park when on a hill.

The few times I've forgotten to do this it has been very difficult to shift out of Park. If the hill is steep enough it's practically impossible. The noise is loud and sounds expensive.

BTW, I'd like to move the parking brake mechanism too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd like to move it as well, but with the diesel you REALLY need to use it, and rely on it. So... I will be doing tanks and batteries on either side of it.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
If anyone knew that the e-brake is the same in Europe then tanks to fit around it should be available from sellers there. Just finding the tank(s) that fit would solve this whole thing wouldn't it? I looked at a ducato based conversion van at Campers World and they had rerouted the exhaust to the side in front of the tire but I failed to look at the brake cables. Don't we have some factory RV conversion owners here?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All Point Of View,Well Taken.Opinions Wanted.

Still,never used parking brake in past two vans-16 years. Lived in 5 National Parks & 5 Ski Resorts. Plenty of Mountainous Travel. Not in a State requiring inspection. No plans on ever selling vehicle. Looking to reroute wire + cable along drivers side. Better than disconnecting it all together. Use it or loose it. Either way,going to utilize every square inch of available space for some thing or another. Old 1500 Ram Van undercarriage carried 100 lbs of hand + power tools-climbing + ski boots,11'inflatable kayak w/pump, and all rubber rain+commercial fishing gear. Everything I didn't want to hump inside,went down below. Learned much from many very ingenuitive people,while working four years in Alaska. All Opinions Welcome. Thank You. DVD http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-36385.html

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
A member here posted how he re-routed his parking brake cable assembly. Do a search. I mounted four 10gal water tanks connected to each other via a 1 1/4" hose to make my 40gal water tank. The parking brake cable runs in between them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My seat belt gets in the way, I've never needed it so far....

Yeah, that's crazy talk, no back up braking on an automatic transmission.

If you remove the e brake, considering adding a parachute ;)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
DVD, you go guy! I suspect the side reroute is a doable and efficient prospect but I don't need it at this time. Reroute seems sensible and might keep us all out of traffic court explaining our run away vans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also considered re-routing the handbrake cable, because I wanted to put water tanks.
But in the end, I found that there were few water tanks available in the right dimensions anyway, and the whole thing would quickly become very expensive and impractical.

I do think the handbrake cable can be re-routed, with just a bit of welding and customization.
But, it might not be legal to do so. You should check with the vehicle inspectors.

I ended up deciding to make a DIY water tank of wood for the waste water, allowing a custom shape, while not being concerned about water quality in regards to using sealants and paints.

For fresh water, I opted for putting a standard water tank inside.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi! doodles. Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while. Soon after asking the question,I easily enough re-routed emergency brake cables over the exhaust pipe. Strangely enough-it works well, even though I never use it. Now have three bays for storage. Two are 14'' x 36''. Going to glue,screw,bolt a 2x4 & 4x4 together with strip of super strut facing down onto three - 4 inch wide metal ribs to make two 10 inch tall storage shelved bay areas. May use it to carry square jugs of spare water & gas. I still plan on carrying at least one lead acid deep cycle battery,hand & power tools down below-under floor. Promaster has a lot dead space that can be utilized. Inside front corner plastic bumpers; drivers side, 2 tri-leveler ramps. Passenger side;ski boots,climbing boots and rain gear. Check out super strut channel, when you are at Home Depot. It has many applications. DVD

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was wondering if you had any more words or pictures on how you relocated the parking brake? I don't see the two brackets anymore....did you just use the strut channel material ?

Thank!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
...cut... I don't see the two brackets anymore....did you just use the strut channel material ?

Thank!
I think he mounted the brackets on the uni-strut.

I'm surprised I have not seen someone use a linear actuator instead of the cable.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don't think I'll need to reroute my cables but if I did I'd use http://push-pull.com/ to make custom cables . Had them make custom parking brake cables for Wilwood rear brakes . Morphed Explorer / Monarch / Wilwood . Worked great .

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think he mounted the brackets on the uni-strut.

I'm surprised I have not seen someone use a linear actuator instead of the cable.
Looking at my 3500 extended....my parking brake is more rod than cable. It makes moving it over problematic

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
357 Posts
Not sure if we should start a new thread on this topic but ran across a video last night and thought someone may need this. The creator may be a member on this forum but if not he should be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts