Ram Promaster Forum banner

Repurpose awning window as a sunroof?

391 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  proeddie
Universal automotive sunroof kits have not been on the market for quite a while. Even the ones from the past (Autoport, Hollander, etc), were curved and did not precisely fit flat panel applications.

So, I wondered...

Has anyone ever experimented with installing something like the CR Laurence awning window (i.e. like the AW 1033) in a horizontal position (on a roof)?

I mean...would it certainly leak?

Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't found one with a low enough profile (like the universal auto sunroof kits of the 80s and 90s). I often carry building materials, etc. on my cargo roof rack, and the universal sunroofs fit almost flush to the vehicle when closed. Flush when closed will result in the least amount of wind induced noise as well.

The target installation place is the flat metal section behind the cab (I think designed for that purpose anyway), and something like the AW 1033 appears like it would be perfect if it won't leak.

Do you know of any alternatives? I looked a boat hatches, but the sizes are odd for that roof panel, and those are really $$$.

· Registered
3,885 Posts
I haven't found one with a low enough profile (like the universal auto sunroof kits of the 80s and 90s). I often carry building materials, etc. on my cargo roof rack, and the universal sunroofs fit almost flush to the vehicle when closed. Flush when closed will result in the least amount of wind induced noise as well.

The target installation place is the flat metal section behind the cab (I think designed for that purpose anyway), and something like the AW 1033 appears like it would be perfect if it won't leak.

Do you know of any alternatives? I looked a boat hatches, but the sizes are odd for that roof panel, and those are really $$$.
Yeah, you don't what a dome skylight then. Flat ones exist. Dometic maybe. I think @Lolaeliz has one.

· Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,873 Posts
Yeah, you don't what a dome skylight then. Flat ones exist. Dometic maybe. I think @Lolaeliz has one.
I have this one. I put it in the back, using a DIY/ @Hein adapter. I believe they can make custom adapters if that helps with the other shylight @diytech is looking at.

Not sure it's low enough for what @diytech is looking for. Mine looks different from the one they are selling now. Looks like thay angled the shape of the dome -- lower at the hinge end.
Rectangle Water Wood Fluid Fixture
Rectangle Automotive exterior Composite material Gas Roof

· Registered
3,885 Posts
Thanks. Yours isn't flat after all.

I know I've seen flat ones, but I may be thinking boats instead. I thought I remembered flat ones in RVs we've rented in Europe. But they probably would have been Dometic too. @diytech maybe look into cheaper marine knock-offs.

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I did find a photo on the 'net of someone who fitted a CRL 1530 sunroof, and that's the profile I was hoping for. However, they did say the install was complicated by the curvature of the CRL not fitting the flat sheet metal of the van.

The bigger problem now is finding any universal sun roof (they have all been taken off the market, likely due to liability concerns). That's why I wondered if the awning window product would hold water in a horizontal orientation.
Sky Automotive exterior Fixture Composite material Tints and shades

· Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
465 Posts
However, they did say the install was complicated by the curvature of the CRL not fitting the flat sheet metal of the van.
More than 3 years ago I installed a CRL 1530 in that uncorrugated section of roof just behind the cab, as in the pic you found, @diytech. No leakage whatsoever in that time. The 1530 was only ever so slightly curved and the roof flexed to conform to it very easily. I am not entirely sure that section of roof itself didn't have some small curvature to it. I think the notion of a marine hatch per @SteveSS is the way to go, they have much more robust frames than the 1530 and what else used to be offered for automotive skylights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts