Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the stereo in my Promaster City Wagon, and I think it worked!

Thanks to user Andrew Crane, who did all of this in his full-size PM, and gave me the confidence to do it in my van as well. I take no credit for discovering any of this, as I just used his process and instruction. But I'm hoping my post confirm the process to be successful for PMC owners, and document some of my struggles and findings as well.

What I bought to install in my van:
1. Dash kit: Metra 95-6531HG 2015- Ram Promaster City Vehicles Double-DIN Radio Dash Kit (High Gloss Black)
2. Wiring harness: iDataLink Maestro HRN-RR-CH3 Plug n Play Installation Harness for Select 2013 - 2015 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles with 52-pin Radio Plug
3. Antenna adapter: Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles
4: Parking brake bypass: MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers
5. Adapter for steering wheel controls, etc: iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter
6: Stereo: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Double Din In Dash Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display

Some notes:
The hardest part of the entire installation was flashing the adapter for the steering wheel controls (iDatalink Maestro). It will ONLY work on a PC, and NOT on a mac. It will ONLY work in Internet Explorer. You have to download a plugin for IE and install it. It doesn't sound so hard. But it was really bad. I use a mac, but I have an old PC in the closet. I tried that for an hour, and I couldn't make it work. My friend came over with his laptop, and we tried for 2 hours and couldn't make it work. I took it to Best Buy, and the car stereo people there couldn't make it work. The next day, I wen't to my friend's house to try his PC. He downloaded the plugin, and the website said he needed to download the plugin. So he downloaded the plugin, and the website said he needed to download the plugin.

We finally made it work by opening Chrome, going to the app store, installing an add-on called "IE Tab" which makes chrome pretend to be IE, and flashing the module from there. In all, I think I spent about 5.5 hours trying to get the stupid unit flashed.

For wiring: The Maestro comes with a whole bunch of wires and harnesses, and the wiring diagram is vague. It took me a while to figure this one out: The wiring harness that mates with the factory wires actually has the plugs coming out of it. So buy the #2 item on my list, and plug most of the wires from the harness straight into the module. There's also a red plug that needs to be switched, which is spelled out in the wiring diagram.

Per Andrew Crane's advice, I left the orange wires disconnected, as it controls the brightness of the screen when the headlights are turned on.

There's a mini USB cable that plugs into the back of the factory stereo. I assume it's linked to the USB input near the gear shifter. The back of the Pioneer stereo doesn't have a mini USB port. I plugged an iPhone cable into one of the USB ports on the back of the Pioneer, and routed it out along with the microphone. I will try to figure out how to fix this.

I heard the factory microphone doesn't connect with the aftermarket stereos, and I can't find any evidence to the contrary. I used the Pioneer mic for phone connectivity, and routed the cable through the crack beside the tray on top of the dash.

I can now set the time on the instrument cluster by setting the time on my clock.

If I hold the up button on the back of the left side of the steering wheel, the stereo shows the tire pressure from all 4 tires. Awesome!

If I hold the down button on the back of the left side, the stereo displays a speedometer, fuel gage, tach, temp, etc. But I didn't hook up the OBDII connection, so the gauges have no information. I will try to figure out how to fix this.

When using navigation on my phone, the map and directions show up BIG on the Pioneer display.

Backup camera display is slightly stretched, but now shows up HUGE, and is really easy to see.

All in all, I would call this a success. I have a few kinks to work out. I also have new door speakers on order, and plan on adding a small subwoofer under the seat. But it's already a huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've replaced the stereo in my Promaster City Wagon, and I think it worked!

Thanks to user Andrew Crane, who did all of this in his full-size PM, and gave me the confidence to do it in my van as well. I take no credit for discovering any of this, as I just used his process and instruction. But I'm hoping my post confirm the process to be successful for PMC owners, and document some of my struggles and findings as well.

What I bought to install in my van:
1. Dash kit: Metra 95-6531HG 2015- Ram Promaster City Vehicles Double-DIN Radio Dash Kit (High Gloss Black)
2. Wiring harness: iDataLink Maestro HRN-RR-CH3 Plug n Play Installation Harness for Select 2013 - 2015 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles with 52-pin Radio Plug
3. Antenna adapter: Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles
4: Parking brake bypass: MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers
5. Adapter for steering wheel controls, etc: iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter
6: Stereo: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Double Din In Dash Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display.
--
How's you're install holding up? Any issues?

I bought a 2015 PMC cargo this fall and had this exact Pioneer AVH-4200NEX stereo installed (via 3rd party installer hired by dealer). It has been months now of trying to fix issues, but specifically my entire dash gets shut off by a conflict with the stereo (this is what I'm told). The dealer just "fixed" the issue but after discovering the 3rd party installer's prior attempt to update the software already had everything up to date, they simply unplugged the battery for 10 minutes to reset the IPC module. The dash worked for a few days, and at least I can now get my dash back for a few days with the battery disconnect trick. When the dash is working I still have a flashing odometer. Do you have this issue?

I also had a remote start system and backup camera installed by the 3rd party. Both work except that the remote start system shuts off when I open one of the front doors. Frustrating but not a deal killer. I'm told this is a BCM issue. Any have luck fixing this type of issue?

Am I crazy to think this stereo should be able to be integrated into the PMC without these issues? I have a case going with Ram/Chrysler but they do not provide any technical support to the dealer. After the holiday I will be having the dealer remove the Pioneer stereo and hopefully upgrade from the stock Uconnect 3.0 to 5.0. I'm hoping someone can tell me that all is not lost with an aftermarket stereo upgrade on the PMC. HeartlessMachine suggests I shouldn't give up. Anyone else have luck with an aftermarket stereo upgrade?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
How's this stereo install holding up?

I recently bought a 2015 PMC cargo van and had the same Pioneer stereo installed by the dealer but through a 3rd party upfitter. The stereo has been causing the dash to lose power (kills the Instrument Panel Control module so no lights or gauge function). This has been going on for 2 months. The 3rd party installer tried a software patch (lasted a week). The dealer "tried" but all software was up to date. All they did was disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. After driving around without a dash I finally have this trick to get it back for a few days.

After much effort to get the dealer to resolve this they did nothing so I am now asking them to pull the stereo, refund me, and install the stock Uconnect 3 or an upgrade to the 5. Reading HeartlessMachine's post has me wondering if I shouldn't give up. Anyone else have luck with an aftermarket stereo?

When my dash is working I get the flashing odometer. I don't have steering wheel controls. I had an aftermarket remote entry/ remote start system and a back up camera installed. All works fine.

I'm new here and appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts