Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not yet purchased a Promaster, but from looking at them on the lot it appears the clearance around the wheels in minimal. That being said, I have a set of almost new 245/75R16 winter tires that I would like to keep and use on the Promaster, but am questioning whether or not they will fit. :|

Has anyone here tried a slightly larger tire size over stock? The 245/75R16 tire is about 1" taller overall, so it would only require about 1/2" more clearance.

Any ideas if this would be feasible?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am about to order that size in All Terrain tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I look forward to hearing how they work for you then. What tire do you plan on going with?

I have Michelin LTX MS2's in 245/75r16 on my E-350 and their LTX Winter tires for the colder months. They both have been exceptional tires and if I do buy a Promaster changing to Michelins will be one of my first upgrades.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just had some 245/75-16 BFG AllTerrain instaled on my 2015 118.

Front tire clearance is exvellent, no issues with suspension, lines, or wheel tub.

Rear clearance is another story. I have 1/8" on the passenger side in front of the tire and 1/2" behind the tire, so it's tight.

On the driver side reat the tire rubs slightly on the forward edge at lowest portion of the plastic fender guard when the suspension compresses, there's 1/2" behind the tire.

The clearance to the shock and lines is fine.

The vertical clearance to the upper portion of the plastic fender guard may be an issue at full suspension compression duevto the tire being wider.

·
Registered
137 Posts
so I can bend/tr the lower edge of the fender protector and I'll get at most 1/4 of clearance or i go down in size to stock.

They look really good, the front is fine with plenty of room for snow cables....

·
Registered
137 Posts
The tire definitely hits the trim (fender guard), I can here it rub on compression. The clearance is so tight that gravel caught in the tread would rub constantly.

I was planning to drop a size to 225/75 16, but discount tire is fussing at me saying I can't run a tire with a lower load rating than the stock tire: VancoFourSeason is 225/75 16, load rated 121

The funny thing is, Tire Rack and BFG list the 225/75 16 All Terrain KO2, load rating is 115/112, for my vehicle.

·
Registered
604 Posts
They have changed to a tire by Nexus (?) for the 2015 models, which is an "E" rated tire. That might help with your argument? FCA obviously decided there tires didn't need the higher rating.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I got the Vancos- build date 6/12 but diesel? Would that matter?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discount Tire was confused by the euro load ratings, I convinced them to look deeper and they got it figured out.

I am now running 225/75 16's, same tires, they look good, though not nearly as full figured as the 245's.

The big tires made the van look like like a 4×4, but I'm not going to hacksaw/grind my new van to fit a tire, I got over that life stage in my twenties.

To do it right, the metal lip and the fender protector/lip in front of the rear wheels would need to be cut back at least 1/2".

There is an obvious difference in ride, handling, and gearing. If someone was into modiying the fender, it's easilly doable. I've got a couple pics I can post.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Vancos continue to be the tire of choice, my van is a 2015.

Vancos aren't bad, they are an overkill for my use and they aren't that great for mud and snow.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Vancos continue to be the tire of choice, my van is a 2015.

Vancos aren't bad, they are an overkill for my use and they aren't that great for mud and snow.
Interesting. I have a 2015, and it has the Nexen tires.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discount Tire was confused by the euro load ratings, I convinced them to look deeper and they got it figured out.

I am now running 225/75 16's, same tires, they look good, though not nearly as full figured as the 245's.

The big tires made the van look like like a 4×4, but I'm not going to hacksaw/grind my new van to fit a tire, I got over that life stage in my twenties.

To do it right, the metal lip and the fender protector/lip in front of the rear wheels would need to be cut back at least 1/2".

There is an obvious difference in ride, handling, and gearing. If someone was into modiying the fender, it's easilly doable. I've got a couple pics I can post.
I have 245/75/16's on my Promaster and they fit fine with no running at all. Hankook Dynapro ATM.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A typical 245/75 16's is an inch taller than the Vanco Four Seasons, so 30.4" vs 29.2"

I looked at the specs on Tirerack and your tires are not much different than the BFG, so I suppose the specs can be wrong, which is why a test fit is important.

BFG All Terrain KO2 9.7/8/30.4
Hankook Dynapro ATM 9.8/7.6/30.5
* section width/tread width/diameter

Mine had the tightest clearance on the driver side rear.

You still must have very tight clearance in the rear, even if you don't rub.

I have 245/75/16's on my Promaster and they fit fine with no running at all. Hankook Dynapro ATM.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
A typical 245/75 16's is an inch taller than the Vanco Four Seasons, so 30.4" vs 29.2"

I looked at the specs on Tirerack and your tires are not much different than the BFG, so I suppose the specs can be wrong, which is why a test fit is important.

BFG All Terrain KO2 9.7/8/30.4
Hankook Dynapro ATM 9.8/7.6/30.5
* section width/tread width/diameter

Mine had the tightest clearance on the driver side rear.

You still must have very tight clearance in the rear, even if you don't rub.
Here is the rear tire. Driver side is no different.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting, your tires don't look as big as the BFGs, yet the specs suggest they are very close (in some dimensions even larger).

Here's the clearance on the passenger side, the driver side was tighter, I rubbed on both sides.

The other issue was tread width and vertical clearance. The BFG's were wider than the wheel tub, so at complete compression; assuming the tires completely entered the entered the wheel well, I think they would have rubbed on the outside edge (upper outside wheel tub)

Definitely test fit a plus sized tire on both rears before a complete install.

Before (245)

After (225)

Tightest tolerance on forward edge, drivers side (245), this one hit regularly and showed evidence of rubbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
On a bright note, the BFG All Terrain KO2 is really AT nice tire, it rides well, it handles well, and though I still have not had it off road, it's suprisingly good on pavement. My expectation (hope) is that this tire will work well enough in the winter than I can avoid studs.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The Ducato van appears to have been designed for even smaller diameter tires than the standard for ProMaster. Wheel wells and arches are on the small size for larger tires. Maybe PM sheet metal was revised to make openings larger but I kind of doubt it.

It's not unusual to see Ducatos specified with 15-inch tires and much narrower than our 225s. I'd personally like to see how a PM would look and handle with wider and lower-profile tires like those used on Ford Transit vans. The 235/65R16C are around 28 inches in diameter and have very high load capacity.

·
Banned
1 Posts

Fit no rubbing 245/75/16 cooper at3 lt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts