Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two different PM window vans. I did do a search with no luck. Has anyone experienced replacing the fixed glass with something that is operable, that is has a section that can be vented. I like the look of the window van and it seems that the ones I have seen are other than white. Or, is a window van really a poor choice for turning into a camper van? Are the logistics of removal and replacement of factory windows a problem?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Reactions: MtDave

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
I bought a cargo van. Windows in the back doors and slider door. I added CRL windows all around. I like the feeling of openness in the van with windows all around.

In the back area I put up walls the full height of the van. I glued black felt to the plywood where it came up against the window, so from the outside it just looks black in that area.

I think the black tinted glass offsets the large masses of steel on the outside, so I did it for looks too.

Note: on my 2014, I discovered that the factory window tinting is lighter than the CRL tinting....Discovered that when I looked at RD's 2015! Newer (than 2014) vans seem to match the tinting.

If you want a window van, and don't plan on installing the windows yourself (as I did, not too hard to do) I would buy it with windows already in. It's cheaper than paying for the windows from CRL plus the labor to install.

I haven't been in a factory window van so I'm not sure if the CRLs are direct replacement on the sides. The factory windows have a split section in the back side windows that the CRLs do as one piece (at least on my 159WB.) Also not sure if there is any additional trim provided around the windows on a factory window van... worth looking into.

Pics of the install in my build thread below...

Ed

ps. On the Transit, the window van low roof, is the ugliest thing on the road! Those tapered windows look like someone stepped on the back of the van and squished it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ed and RD. I appreciate all the info you've given and all the info available because of this forum. Our local Ram dealer does not carry the Promaster at all so the nearest dealer who does is 170 miles away. Ed I agree that the Transit is just ugly, to my eyes anyway. The thing that does bother me is that it seems like all the Ford dealers have or at least can get the Transit and my understanding is that any Ford dealer will service them. If I have a Promaster and need warranty work getting it to the dealer 170 miles away could be a problem. That said, I am pretty sure a Promaster is going to be my choice for outfitting to a camper. Does anyone have any thoughts on insulating the windows I would want blocked out?

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Just cut a piece of Thinsulate to fit the opening you can make it friction fit or use suction cups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts