Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the Promaster Continental Vanco tires with another brand, size, rating?
I want to use my van as a camper with off pavement travel. I would like to put Michelin LTX All Terrain tires with an E load range but have not gotten positive feedback in replacing the original tires. I will not be using the van for any commercial application---just my wife and me and camping gear. Want to make sure it will be safe to make the change.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here in Europe some use the Michelin Agilis Camping (or Camper in some markets) that is designed for motorhomes (beware that there are other Agilis models that have a different technology and footprint). I don't know if are sold also in U.S.A.
You could ask to Michelin UK an advice since they are used to Ducato based motorhomes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U.S. vs European

Seems that the Continental Vanco tire that comes on the Promaster has not equal in the US market. Everyone I have asked says that changing out tires at this time would not be safe. US "E" load tires have a max load of 2680 lbs. and the Vancos have a max load of 3195 lbs. or about 5000 difference with four tires in the size 225 75R 16. There seems to be a liability issue and no one, tire dealers or Chrysler, will approve any tire except those presently on the Promaster.

·
Registered
90 Posts
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11896&group=3.02&name=Nokian+Hakka+C+Cargo

The 225/75-16 has a 121 load rating, or 3197 pounds.

Tire Factory carries these, though they may be special order, and the last time I got Nokian's I ordered from "TiresbyWeb"
Those are nice tires, although I think they're the summer tire, correct?
Nokian also makes an all-weather model in similar load capacity that is rated highly for rain and snow.

I wonder if a 235/65 tire would handle a bit better, and wouldn't mess with the speedometer/odometer significantly?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires for Promaster

I took my Promaster 1500, low roof, 136 wb van to a certified weigh station and the gross weight was 5160 lbs. I just bought the Michelin LT LTX All Terrain tires with the "E" rating. They ride great and will give me the traction I want off road and in snow.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Actually the Nokian all season version of the tire is easier to get than the summer version. Just because the website lists the summer tire, doesn't necessarily mean they have it in stock.

Those are nice tires, although I think they're the summer tire, correct?
Nokian also makes an all-weather model in similar load capacity that is rated highly for rain and snow.

I wonder if a 235/65 tire would handle a bit better, and wouldn't mess with the speedometer/odometer significantly?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts