Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post a brief description of how to replace the daytime running light (DRL) bulb on a Promaster. I searched Youtube and could only find videos for the replacement of the headlight bulb. I guess either I couldn't find it, or because DRL's are only required in Canada nobody has documented it.

The process involves removing the entire headlight assembly, after removing the upper and lower trim pieces. Refer to this video for this step. It's actually quite easy, just be careful removing the lower trim as the clips are apparently very prone to breaking, mine did not break. Tools required: Phillips screwdriver (3 screws for trim pieces) and 10mm socket for the 3 bolts that secure the headlight assembly.

Once the headlight is out, unscrew the large cover that provides access to the headlight and DRL bulb, this is simply a slight counter clockwise turn by hand.

Actual DRL bulb removal
- The bulb holder is shown in the picture. It requires a slight counter-clockwise turn, I had to use pliers with quite a bit of force. I was actually worried it would break something, but it didn't and then popped out. You may have to use pliers again to re-insert.
-The bulb simply pulls out to replace. The part number is 4B06 and it cost me $7.45 plus tax in Canada.

Process was quite straightforward and took about 30 minutes.

Funny thing though. While putting it all back together I said to myself, "self, shouldn't I test this before reassembling everything". I jumped in the van, turned on the ignition, with the parking brake released (the parking brake disables the DRLs) and the warning light came on the dash and the bulb was still dark! I looked at the light and banged it with my fist, the light came on!

I believe a dealer would charge at least and hour labour to do this, it's quite simple really.

Shaun

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought I would post a brief description of how to replace the daytime running light (DRL) bulb on a Promaster. I searched Youtube and could only find videos for the replacement of the headlight bulb. I guess either I couldn't find it, or because DRL's are only required in Canada nobody has documented it.

The process involves removing the entire headlight assembly, after removing the upper and lower trim pieces. Refer to this video for this step. It's actually quite easy, just be careful removing the lower trim as the clips are apparently very prone to breaking, mine did not break. Tools required: Phillips screwdriver (3 screws for trim pieces) and 10mm socket for the 3 bolts that secure the headlight assembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neE0ur7qnqc

Once the headlight is out, unscrew the large cover that provides access to the headlight and DRL bulb, this is simply a slight counter clockwise turn by hand.

Actual DRL bulb removal
- The bulb holder is shown in the picture. It requires a slight counter-clockwise turn, I had to use pliers with quite a bit of force. I was actually worried it would break something, but it didn't and then popped out. You may have to use pliers again to re-insert.
-The bulb simply pulls out to replace. The part number is 4B06 and it cost me $7.45 plus tax in Canada.

Process was quite straightforward and took about 30 minutes.

Funny thing though. While putting it all back together I said to myself, "self, shouldn't I test this before reassembling everything". I jumped in the van, turned on the ignition, with the parking brake released (the parking brake disables the DRLs) and the warning light came on the dash and the bulb was still dark! I looked at the light and banged it with my fist, the light came on!

I believe a dealer would charge at least and hour labour to do this, it's quite simple really.

Shaun
Excellent and very clear! Thank you very much ! (From another Canadian concerned by this replacement ...)
Has anyone thought of replacing standard bulbs with LEDs? It seems to be much more efficient (lumen) and especially last much longer.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Research CANBUS and LEDs. What we often refer to as CANnotBUS. It is a pain but you can get brighter lights with longer life but CANnot get lower wattage generally. Lumens are regulated by the traffic safety administration for good reasons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ANyone ever found a new CEMM Thome connector for the ones we break taking them out?
They were made in Monterrey MX but I think another company has taken over the automotive part,

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's funny you ask that. I had to replace the same DRL bulb again this week and noticed that the socket the bulb fits into is damaged to the point where the bulb wiggles loose. So much so that it loses contact and doesn't stay lit. My temporary hack was to solder the bulb in place. I don't think this will last. I called my dealer and the only way to fix this is to order an entire headlight assembly, what a waste! $450 cdn IIRC.

Like BillD I would like to find a source for the small parts inside the headlight. Thanks.

PS, I had to come back to this thread to refresh my memory on the process of replacing the DRL. Glad I wrote it! :)

Shaun

·
Registered
1 Posts
ANyone ever found a new CEMM Thome connector for the ones we break taking them out?
They were made in Monterrey MX but I think another company has taken over the automotive part
Greetings! Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. We just picked up a used 2018 PM 3500, and one of the DRLs were "out". turns out that this connector had been broken in the past (maybe when the actual bulb was replaced), to the point where the long handle in the back had been ripped off so looks like they just stuck it in with a pair of pliers.

The plastic housing where the bulb's terminal set against is loose, which causes an intermittent connection. We'll hack something together for now so it works, but would love to grab a hold of the replacement part for this if anyone has a lead! :) otherwise, may look into 3d printing it or something... ;)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
IIRC, there have been posts about socket problems with the headlight bulbs. I wonder if any of those fixes would work on the DRLs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts