Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to fix minor scratches and scuffs on the fiberglass (?) fenders?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
They are ABS I believe. I hit a large driveway rock and had a dent and a bad scuff. I got out my propane torch and lightly heated a large area around the dent and used a carpenter’s flat bar to pop it out. Then I heated it more and used a scrubby pad to roughen the surface of the scuff by daubing at it. Lastly I ran the torch over the area like a wand to even it all out. No one has noticed that it was damaged. Use at your own risk. ABS will burn and so will your van.

Heating was the way we fixed Royalex Mad River ABS canoes even one that was folded in along one side from a rock up in the North Maine Woods, far above the Allagash. If it didn’t work we were screwed. Campfire (and sunshine) and several helpers to move the canoe. ABS seems to have some memory of the mold it was hot formed in.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
#*&^%(%$%$# yes!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hot air gun and a matching "texture pad" are used by pros to refurb bumpers on car lots. A hair drier just takes more time to soften the plastic .RD's program works too , just a bit risky . The plastic can be "welded' back together too .

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just replaced a front corner bumper and was amazed at how cheap it was. The part was like $150 Canadian and was fairly easy to replace. Took a few hours but saved so much over paying my deductible and having the dealer do it.

Sounds like there are some good repair options as well. My fender flare was ripped off in my fender bender, so I had to replace. Good to know it is a reasonable option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts