Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to remove the flat head bolts on the roof and all it did was spin, now it wont tighten
are the original flat heads threaded? What the heck am I missing?
thank you

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Are you referring to the roof rack mounts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
I don't think they are threaded. I believe they are designed to be rotated to mount racks. Drop a mount over the pin and rotate it to secure it. When I was considering a rack I made some brackets with ovals that would do that.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
I'm pretty sure they not threaded, I have not found a picture of one that is removed.

I have seen where someone will rotate it 90° so they can slide their mounting bracket in and then rotate it back to lock it in.

If I had to make an educated guess from this pic I would say the stud goes through the flat part and is peened over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have read that on a few posts before and also found out the same when I built my own roof racks. They will rotate but I found that I needed to put a wrench on them to move them easily. They rotate to allow different attachment configurations

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wow, had no idea they were meant to rotate, knowing that might have made my life easier when building my roof rack. Really wonder if they are actually designed to rotate.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
It seems to me they were meant to rotate, if not they would be welded in place. Hard to believe they rotate the way they do by accident.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Being able to rotate may just be a by-product of how it's assembled. It appears to be a stud mounted to thick sheet metal, they could weld it but that would cost more to make :)

If by design then I would think the roof rack companies would use that function, but they don't.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Never found any European sources that utilize that feature.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Being able to rotate may just be a by-product of how it's assembled. It appears to be a stud mounted to thick sheet metal, they could weld it but that would cost more to make :)
Manufacturing a rotatable pin simply cannot be cheaper than making a fixed pin. Think about the design and fabrication involved in making it rotatable and secure with the exact standoff on each one.
The fact that the rack companies were not smart enough to utilize the rotatable function doesn't mean anything. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
In my mind I see a person inserting the pin upside down in a fixture, then placing the stamp steel part with a hole in the fixture and dropping a 20 ton hammer press to peen it over. So simple a sweat shop and a child could do it, what could be cheaper :)
Or something similar.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
In my mind I see a person inserting the pin upside down in a fixture, then placing the stamp steel part with a hole in the fixture and dropping a 20 ton hammer press to peen it over. So simple a sweat shop and a child could do it, what could be cheaper :)
Edit, I may have misunderstood what you meant.

It is difficult to peen a pin that accurately without distortion anywhere else in the pin. It likely would not maintain the exact tolerance/clearance needed to be able to rotate.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Then it wouldn't rotate? :)

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
I thought about rotating mine, but with my luck it pop out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts