Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2016 PM 3500 159 ext for conversion. Will be using for ski trips, concerts , and " living in a van down by the river". It came with a plastic 1/4" floor that is ,what looks like adhered with silicone. Want to know if this should be removed to insulate under ?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,072 Posts
Hi,
I'd say its worth having floor insulation -- especially for a ski van. The floor is probably of the order of 1/4 of your heat loss area, so not so good not to insulate it in a van that is going to be used in cold weather.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I find a cold floor hard on my feet and lower legs. I thought about heating it with a Wabasto coolant heater and PEX pipe but in the end opted for - 1/2 inch of polyisocranuate foam board, 1/2 inch plywood, cheap carpet. It's not bad and I can be barefoot down to about 40 degrees. BTW I ended up heating with an Espar Airtronic D2 and we love it. Insulate the floor. I think I would find a way to remove the existing floor, add the ridgid insulation, reinstall the floor and add carpet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Leave the existing floor as it provides some initial insulation itself but mostly by trapping air in the spaces between the raised floor ridges. Add 1/2 inch rigid closed cell foam insulation on top then 5/8 inch hardware plywood.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took the entire floor out, removed all that silicone crap (good luck). Flipped the floor over and ran 2x3's around the perimeter then used a router around the whole edge. Then used bubble insulation and foam board in between the 2x3's. The floor is just attached using the tie downs with longer bolts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I find a cold floor hard on my feet and lower legs. I thought about heating it with a Wabasto coolant heater and PEX pipe but in the end opted for - 1/2 inch of polyisocranuate foam board, 1/2 inch plywood, cheap carpet. It's not bad and I can be barefoot down to about 40 degrees. BTW I ended up heating with an Espar Airtronic D2 and we love it. Insulate the floor. I think I would find a way to remove the existing floor, add the ridgid insulation, reinstall the floor and add carpet.
I did the same thing, just using carpet mats from HD instead of carpet. Didn't fasten anything down, just used the hold downs with longer bolts. Worked great and seems pretty warm, only adds an inch of height which was important because I have a low roof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same thing, just using carpet mats from HD instead of carpet. Didn't fasten anything down, just used the hold downs with longer bolts. Worked great and seems pretty warm, only adds an inch of height which was important because I have a low roof.
Just did the same thing to my van using carpet mats after reading your comments! Great advice when not wanting to raise the floor too much!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts