Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think someone mentioned removing the badging (Ram, promaster, etc nameplates). Do these pry off pretty easily? Does the glue clean up pretty well? Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
I think someone mentioned removing the badging (Ram, promaster, etc nameplates). Do these pry off pretty easily? Does the glue clean up pretty well? Any suggestions appreciated.
I removed all badges except for the ram on the grille. I used a heat gun and nail polish remover. I read someone else used 3M adhesive remover. The badges come off easy but the adhesive is a real pain to remove.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Use dental floss to cut thru the adhesive and a plastic knife to pry them up a bit first as you move the dental floss under in a sawing motion. Take your time and you won't scratch the paint. I used lacquer thinner to get the rest of the adhesive off but the 3M adhesive remover is probably better (and a lot more expensive).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered a custom van from the dealership that is due to arrive in three weeks. Would it be unreasonable to ask the dealer not to badge the vehicle? My state (New Mexico) is notorious for putting dealership badges on vehicles.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have always asked for no dealership decal or badging and I have found dealers always reasonable. I assure them I will mention them for their good work and my satisfaction but please do not put a badge on my car. No problem.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
I used fishing line and a warm heat gun.. nail polish remover for the residue. Lots of cleaning to do once the badge is removed.

I just took off the red/silver/black PROMASTER labels. The van looked like a Craftsman tool box!

Chrome RAM and 2500 labels look OK for me.

Ed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Laquer thinner?? Did it soften or dull the paint? Thats pretty harsh for a finished surface, I could see a disastrous result if you used to much or rubbed to hard....not trying to be negative or anything just want to give a heads up if someone else tries it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Laquer thinner?? Did it soften or dull the paint? Thats pretty harsh for a finished surface, I could see a disastrous result if you used to much or rubbed to hard....not trying to be negative or anything just want to give a heads up if someone else tries it.
Yes this is true. Many years ago I was using it to get some over spray off and it
soften the paint.It might be OK if it was just slightly damp and to be careful.

Paint thinner then followed by methyl hydrate. Then buff with polishing compound.
I use Meguiar's 205. Then wax.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Today's new paints aren't like the paints from the past. I just use a rag dampened with lacquer thinner and rub lightly. I've never even seen any sign of paint on the rag afterwards. Paint thinner is a waste of time in my opinion it seems to take next to nothing off these days it must be re formulated. There are many products out there you can use if you're not comfortable with lacquer thinner, of course!

·
Registered
51 Posts
After using the fishing line and dental floss as others have used, I used a 3M 03612 adhesive remover wheel to get rid of all the remaining adhesive. A slower speed seemed to work the fastest and the little globs that ball-up are hot and stick to your fingers. A little lacquer thinner took off the rest. Quick and easy if you're willing to spend the money for the wheel and we all know that time can equal money.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
My time seems to be worth nothing considering I always find a way to do everything that uses lots of it but is free otherwise.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to remove the badging? Is it embarrassing? Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore.
Typically with a new vehicle I waste no time removing the ugly eye-clutter. But with my PM it really doesn't bother me. Its a truck I guess. Maybe when I get to the contempo condo stage I'll feel differently ... after the infinity pool and glass balusters go in.

Has anyone tried the Goo Gone stuff on the adhesive?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
I saw a new sprinter with a large rams head logo on the grill. It used to be sprinter owners removed the dodge logo and replaced it with a Mercedes logo how times change.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to remove the badging? Is it embarrassing? Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore.
I remove all badges ASAP. I am not an advertising agent for the products I purchase. Max fan badges...GONE, Fiamma awning badges...GONE, Ram badges.. GONE.
Now, if one of those companies wanted to sponsor me or otherwise compensate me for the advertising impressions, I’d be willing to negotiate terms.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts