Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When searching for how to use the Skorva brackets in a Promaster, I cam across RemoraCo and their brackets just for this exact purpose (https://www.remoraco.com/beds). Does anyone have any experience with this bracket and the company? Not finding anything related to this already in the forum. TIA.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Interesting. But if you have an IKEA store nearby (that's open), you can go to their Part/Returns Dept and ask for Skorva brackets (6). They will give them to you for FREE. They will also give you the 8 bolts and their 8 white plastic nub-nuts (I just made that name up) that go on the Skorva rails to hold the slats in place. Check Shiny's build thread for photos. We love this bed frame system. It's light weight, strong and easily removable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. But if you have an IKEA store nearby (that's open), you can go to their Part/Returns Dept and ask for Skorva brackets (6). They will give them to you for FREE. They will also give you the 8 bolts and their 8 white plastic nub-nuts (I just made that name up) that go on the Skorva rails to hold the slats in place. Check Shiny's build thread for photos. We love this bed frame system. It's light weight, strong and easily removable.
I'm not looking to do too much building off the original walls (think more along the lines of Wayfarer panels), which is why I really like the simplicity of the brackets and how they connect to the skorva rails with very little wasted space.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Good find if you are looking for a crosswise bed install. I bet you could copy their idea with a DIY angle bracket to save a few dollars. Or as suggested above just get the ikea brackets which is what I did with my bed that mounts fore/aft.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,827 Posts
Those brackets look like good quality, but if I am looking at that website correctly $180/ pair of brackets ??

The other thing is these brackets seem to be attached to the main horizontal van wall structural wall stringer. As I am sure that is ok, it “loads” the wall stringer, & I think it is better practice to transfer this load to the van floor. If in a DIYers design those brackets attached to the wall stringer is at just the right height (was not in my case), then it would probably work out ok.

Another method I have been thinking about is fabricating lower “wall panels” to close off the van side walls under the bed (maybe 3/4” good quality plywood) that bed load to the van floor. Then attaching Skorva brackets to the 3/4” wall panel to recieve the Skorva rails.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm not looking to do too much building off the original walls (think more along the lines of Wayfarer panels), which is why I really like the simplicity of the brackets and how they connect to the skorva rails with very little wasted space.
The IKEA brackets can be attached to anything load-bearing, anywhere, including the van's horizontal wall beams themselves. We built those boxes around the wheel wells for storage, not to accommodate the bed brackets or the load. No matter what brackets you go with, you will still need something like the IKEA nub-nuts and bolts to hold the slats in place on the Skorva rails.

I've seen non-IKEA vendors selling the IKEA brackets online for upwards of $25 each, which definitely makes the Remora price look better. But I bet all those vendors get them free at their local IKEA ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The IKEA brackets can be attached to anything load-bearing, anywhere, including the van's horizontal wall beams themselves. We built those boxes around the wheel wells for storage, not to accommodate the bed brackets or the load. No matter what brackets you go with, you will still need something like the IKEA nub-nuts and bolts to hold the slats in place on the Skorva rails.

I've seen non-IKEA vendors selling the IKEA brackets online for upwards of $25 each, which definitely makes the Remora price look better. But I bet all those vendors get them free at their local IKEA ;)
Thanks! I used to have an Ikea bedframe for my home, and found that the slats liked to move around a lot. If I go this route, my plan is to use velcro on the bottom of each slat (which my new home bed has and works very well). I don't live too far from an Ikea, so as soon as it opens back up it won't be an issue getting brackets directly from Ikea. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thanks! I used to have an Ikea bedframe for my home, and found that the slats liked to move around a lot. If I go this route, my plan is to use velcro on the bottom of each slat (which my new home bed has and works very well). I don't live too far from an Ikea, so as soon as it opens back up it won't be an issue getting brackets directly from Ikea. Thanks again!
To keep the slats in place, the trick is spacing the nub-nuts so you have to stretch the slat ribbons a bit to hook the slats over the nub-nuts at each corner. The slat package (queen or king) will depend on your design needs. Ours needed king slats. You may also have to remove some slats and/or shorten them like we did. As the Remora diagram indicates, you'll need to attach boards to the outer edges of the Skorva rails to keep the slats contained. The slats should butt end-to-end on the middle rail. With mattresses on top, our slats have never shifted. The only extra thing I did was zip tying the ends of the rails to the brackets, so they can't bounce out.

We sleep fore and aft (vs athwartships), which puts us at 90 degrees to the normal slat orientation. I was initially worried that might feel funny. But, we don't notice it at all. Did I mention, I really like this system?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used an old bed frame ($10)cut down/apart and plywood for my bed.I looked at Bunkie bed slats I think thats similar to the IKEA bed.A full size IKEA mattress and 2" memory foam topper work good for me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ended up getting a 159 promaster (delivered just a few hours ago), so the fancy Remora brackets won't work anyways. Still going to use Skorva along with the bed slats and then mount it all to the wall with the 'free' brackets from ikea on a 1 x 6 with plus nuts. First time building anything without an instruction book haha - here we go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts