Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I apologize if this is on a thread somewhere, I searched for a long time and couldn't find anything. If you know of an existing thread, please send it my way!

I am trying to do research on getting our van title change from commercial van to RV. We have completely built it out and would like it to be registered as an RV. We are in Michigan and with all SOS's closed for Covid-19, I'm not able to get a person on the phone.

We are looking to start doing conversions as part of our business, so I am trying to find any answers that I can get regarding what each van would 100% need in order for it to be classified as an RV.

I have read on different sites that some people take photos of their vans with a short description of its intended uses.

I would appreciate ANYTHING someone might know! Especially in Michigan. Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Every state is different. In many states it makes no difference to register a vehicle as an RV, in fact, they may not even have that as a category. I other states (Michigan I presume) there is some value in it. Most insurance companies rate a vehicle by its VIN they couldn’t care less what your registration says it is.

There are many threads on the forum on this subject. I don’t have them at my fingertips but I’ll look for a few for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Here’s one to start with:

there are many, many more try changing your search terms a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, thank you! I guess I had been thinking that if the SOS of Michigan was able to register it as an RV, it would be easier to get RV insurance, but when you said they really only focus on the VIN, that makes sense. Those threads were helpful! You're right, I was focusing on searching for registration threads, rather than insurance. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
KOV is right. Each state/province is different. Getting reclassified and relicensed definitely has insurance benefits here in BC, but finding the how-to's was really hard for me, even without COVID-19.

I talked to several insurance agents who all confirmed the insurance premium benefit. BUT, they were largely ignorant about the DMV's reclassification process -- no personal experience. The DMV wasn't much better. All I got was conflicting and partial stories -- again, no personal experience, and confusing DMV documentation. I finally found another PM Forum member from BC who had just gone through it successfully. And from searching online, I got his process corroborated by a blogger from BC who had just reclassed their Sprinter conversion.

Hang in there and do a bunch of internet searching while you're in isolation. Check your DMV website to find out how they license motorhomes (vs commercial cargo vans) and any unique terms they use. Some search words to try: reclassify, relicense, Michigan, motorhome, motor coach, cargo van

Good luck, and stay well!
PS -- check out post #102 in the second link KOV posted above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I may reach out to the person who wrote #102 and see what "hardware" they needed to see in place for their build. I appreciate your insight!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ah, thank you! I guess I had been thinking that if the SOS of Michigan was able to register it as an RV, it would be easier to get RV insurance, but when you said they really only focus on the VIN, that makes sense. Those threads were helpful! You're right, I was focusing on searching for registration threads, rather than insurance. Thank you so much!
There you go! In some places it's solely an insurance issue. Here in BC, insurance is linked firmly to licensing classification. I couldn't insure it as a motorhome until it was licensed as one.

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Wikipedia says: Typical amenities of an RV include a kitchen, a bathroom, and one or more sleeping facilities. RVs can range from the utilitarian – containing only sleeping quarters and basic cooking facilities – to the luxurious, with features like air conditioning (AC), water heaters, televisions and satellite receptors, and quartz countertops, for example.
State of Michigan says: Michigan Legislature - Section 257.32a

Reactions: alliraerich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wikipedia says: Typical amenities of an RV include a kitchen, a bathroom, and one or more sleeping facilities. RVs can range from the utilitarian – containing only sleeping quarters and basic cooking facilities – to the luxurious, with features like air conditioning (AC), water heaters, televisions and satellite receptors, and quartz countertops, for example.
State of Michigan says: Michigan Legislature - Section 257.32a
This is great--thank you!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Michigan resident myself, my van is still classified as a Van as I'm still in the process of converting it. My insurance agent said "We will add it as a van to start. Once you’ve converted it to a motor-home, let me know, and we’ll change how it’s rated." The price I was quoted for an RV was about 24% less than as a van . Perhaps reach out to your insurance company/agent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm from Michigan too and am interested in self building a Promaster, but am very discouraged so far about finding insurance, and at a reasonable rate. I have an excellent insurance score, credit, etc, and out of all the carriers my insurance agent handles (including Progressive, the one which several with self built vans claim to have on various forums), only one said yes... to the tune of $1800/yr for full coverage. Plus it happens to be the carrier I already insure a home and two autos through. This is absolutely outrageous imo for a part time weekender van. Sounds like they won't even do an agreed value policy or cover only the van itself.

Since your last post, have you yet been able to figure out how/where to get normal-RV-priced insurance for a self built Promaster in Michigan? Did you figure out if re-titling as a motor home was necessary/beneficial?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts