Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often will promaster diesel go into regen mode? How to you tell it is in regen mode? I have had this unit since august of 2015 never seen any kind of message that it was doing any thing. Unit has 4500 miles on it almost all highway miles.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If its mostly highway miles you may never get a regen, or at least never notice when it happens. Its the city driving that doesn't heat up the DPF filter enough to clean it out.

When I'm in town I can notice a regen occurring by the sound of both front fans on at full speed. Even with the windows up I can tell there's a different sound. With the windows down, easily heard.

I have been able to tell when a regen is happening at highway speeds mostly be watching the instant MPG reading. Especially if its a flat steady road. Instead of seeing it vary around 24mpg it will be varying around 18mpg. There's been a few times when I've seen that, pulled off at the next exit, and yep... fans are running, regen is going. A bit further down the road and the MPG is back up to what it should be.

Just recently I did get the "DPF regen in progress, maintain safe speed" message, or something like that. I had been driving only in town as a commuter with occasional spurts to 55mph. Had a few days where it started a regen, but it was right as I was coming to a parking space, so it was interrupted. After the 4th or 5th time of that, the regen started on the drive home, I was close to home, but made a looping detour. The regen might have taken 10 minutes.

All that said, I have had the regen start up after plenty of highway driving. Had it a couple times on our 3000 mile road trip. Another time I drove 400 miles of highway speeds to get home. The next day it started a regen less than two miles from home. *shrug*

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information I have heard the fans run loud on mine a few. I though it might have flasehd a message on evic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The owners who idle a lot or mainly do city driving are in for some grief when the dpf clogs and regen won't clean it. Hard lessons learned from Sprinter owners: do not idle these modern diesels.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,510 Posts
That is a hard one for me to grasp. A selling point of the old diesels was that when idling they used 1/6 the fuel that a gasser used and they could idle through the whole tank if you wanted them too.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It is a different beast but some have idled a lot w/o issues. Adrian who has gone to a pickup for more towing often idled for hours, even all night I believe. No one wants a diesel idling anymore anyway! My only concession has been to try not to shut the van off when in a regen and in close to 10,000 miles I have twice taken a 10 minute detour as I approached home to avoid that. It is true when on the road you really don't notice a regen. I have yet to determine how often they happen, never a notice. It is a non-issue for me and I credit the engineering for making it so. Look, this diesel is a great engine to drive and unless you are one of the few who got the CEL it works wonderfully well. Quiet, powerful, fuel efficient, reliable, and by reputation long lived.

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's a cumulative effect. Idling over long periods of time will clog the dpf. This isn't Promaster or Sprinter specific it's a problem with any modern diesel with dpf's.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts