Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just installed my Dometic CFX50 and very happy to ditch the cooler, ice and water logged food. It was expensive at $600 but runs very quiet and cools down to 35*F pulling just under 2.5 amps. I can easily run it just on my solar during the day. So I agree with what's already been said, "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
45 Posts
our used 2014 PM came with a whynter 62quart 2 sections adjustable for freezer or fridge...AC/DC...It has worked well only a few times and for short times intermittently. AC works great but DC not. Whynter seems to want to blame it on our setup. 2 100 ah deep cycle batteries in parallel with Battery Doc / 100w solar (mostly for keeping batteries topped up) and alternator. Main problem is it draws so many amps on compressor start up that it shuts off because fridge drops below 10V and cuts off automatically. Looking at the Voltage on our Victron 700 the Van batteries barely drop... never below 12V. Line voltage at start is at 12.7 or higher. Any ideas? -- I'm reading this thread because thinking about a new Fridge -- would like to be able to keep ice though... right now we are doing the RTIC thing with milk cartons that everyone is using......side note : why is it so hard to find block ice these days driving across the country? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
543 Posts
@Locosan,
Have you tried using a thicker wire(like 10awg or bigger and keep the wire run short) for DC connection? I heard that is a common problem with the Whynter fridge. I have similar battery setup with 230ah golf cart batteries and running an old Engel fridge 24/7 and no startup issue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
our used 2014 PM came with a whynter 62quart 2 sections adjustable for freezer or fridge...AC/DC...It has worked well only a few times and for short times intermittently. AC works great but DC not. Whynter seems to want to blame it on our setup. 2 100 ah deep cycle batteries in parallel with Battery Doc / 100w solar (mostly for keeping batteries topped up) and alternator. Main problem is it draws so many amps on compressor start up that it shuts off because fridge drops below 10V and cuts off automatically. Looking at the Voltage on our Victron 700 the Van batteries barely drop... never below 12V. Line voltage at start is at 12.7 or higher. Any ideas? -- I'm reading this thread because thinking about a new Fridge -- would like to be able to keep ice though... right now we are doing the RTIC thing with milk cartons that everyone is using......side note : why is it so hard to find block ice these days driving across the country? Thanks
I also have the Whynter 62Q dual zone model. A few things you can try to solve the low voltage shutdown.

1) Make sure your DC connection point is tight. The cig lighter plug seems to be slightly larger or spring is tighter which tends to loosen the connection between plug and socket. Possible solutions: Cut off the cig lighter plug and hardwire or splice on a different type connector that is more secure. I rigged up a clamp that holds the connection tight.

2) Make sure your wires are sufficient gauge to minimize voltage drop. Should be minimum 12AWG.

3) Try a lower voltage cutoff point. Here's the instructions on how to adjust the cutoff point:

Font Audio equipment Circle Brand Multimedia

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks y'all I am hardwired in - I will check wire gauge and maybe I should run wiring directly off of battery and not through the Fuse Box (I thin that is how previous owner setup). I have cutoff as low as it can go 10V. p.s. doing some fridge research Engel gets really good reviews. appreciate ideas....Jerry/locosan

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
For a PM City, I'd buy an Alpicool that fit and a 100ahr SOK battery, same price as the expensive frig brands.
Just something to think about :)
Ok....thinking this

Alpicool T36 dual temperature control portable refrigerator 38 qt. $309.99

Weize 12 v 100ah deep cycle agm sla vrla battery for solar. $189.99

need solar panels and controller??

might use electric battery charger at first to recharge nattery

tell me if I'm idiot....
comments welcome ... I'm better @ driving around
eating nabs

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
Whatever brand of refrigerator/freezer you get you need to be see and read as many reviews as possible, prices have gone up some.
I don't have any experience with AGMs, depth of discharge? if you go by the "no lower than 50% rule " that's cuts your battery capacity in half.

Things I would consider,
do you travel enough to recharge the battery(s) with the alternator?
PM City, limited amount of roof space for panel(s), I know 400w fits,
How much energy does the frig consume, some are better than others.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
686 Posts
Thanks y'all I am hardwired in - I will check wire gauge and maybe I should run wiring directly off of battery and not through the Fuse Box (I thin that is how previous owner setup). I have cutoff as low as it can go 10V. p.s. doing some fridge research Engel gets really good reviews. appreciate ideas....Jerry/locosan
We have beat the **** out of our ICECO. Not really a recommendation but we are extremely happy with our unit in temperatures between -20f to 4 weeks of 115+ outside temps. I actually had the fridge placed outside the van for 2 weeks while it was 110+ and it kept its set points. All metal skin. Go to their website and sign up for their email notifications for a sale.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
this high on wish list.... No reviews but new model

Dometic ac/DC 60 qt
Crxd-1065ufm ac/DC pull out drawer
Fridge/freezer
$952.04

can these things really run on cigarette lighter plug
Does not show how ac/DC works

Would pull out drawer let all cool out???

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts