Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which refrigerator did you put in your van? What size? Brand? We have a 136.
Does anyone have experience with the Goal Zero Lithium Powerstation?
thank you.
Deena

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
I use a Truckfridge model TF 130 (DC 12V). Excellent and the consumption varies between 2 to 4 Amps max at peak demand.
I work with backup power and I decided to install two 120A/h deep cycle batteries from Costco (around $ 100 each) with a 1000W inverter.
I charge the batteries via the alternator with an isolator relay.
The Yeti product looks nice, but it's very expensive and the autonomy for a refrigerator is 24hs. With my setup I have power for several days.
I only use the refrigerator, LED lights, water pump, and to power my laptop. No microwave.
I don't even use solar panels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We are still on cooler v.1

I love the Yeti marketing juggernaut, so have always wanted to join those whose cooler cost more than their pickup. But no. My partner found an Igloo max cold for $8. It holds ice 5 days. Tests show it right behind the roto-molded new wave coolers, about 90% as effective. So $8.

We have a space designed for this cooler, an RTIC cooler, or an Engel 40 fridge.

The outlet is there for the fridge, but so far, we cant justify the need.

We sometimes stay a week or more on one site, (in our other RV), till the electric, water and food run out, and in this case the ice would too.

So we changed how we roll. Now every 4 days we crank up the van and head to get supplies, including ice. More important, ice cream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
........ Goal Zero Lithium Powerstation?
thank you.
Deena
None, I had to work for my money and I am not about to throw a bunch away on a little Lithium battery that won’t run my van. My battery set and solar and controller cost $800. Huge in comparison. Works when its cold too.
Norcold NR751, has a freezer, works great.

·
Registered
808 Posts
A note on Truckfridge:

Right now they are having supply problems on certain models and a number of them are on backorder. You can still order the backordered units and they put you on some sort of waiting list. I'd decided on the TF130 and their site presently says they should be back in stock mid January, but apparently there is a backlog.

·
Registered
735 Posts
We are still on cooler v.1

I love the Yeti marketing juggernaut, so have always wanted to join those whose cooler cost more than their pickup. But no. My partner found an Igloo max cold for $8. It holds ice 5 days. Tests show it right behind the roto-molded new wave coolers, about 90% as effective. So $8.

We have a space designed for this cooler, an RTIC cooler, or an Engel 40 fridge.

The outlet is there for the fridge, but so far, we cant justify the need.

We sometimes stay a week or more on one site, (in our other RV), till the electric, water and food run out, and in this case the ice would too.

So we changed how we roll. Now every 4 days we crank up the van and head to get supplies, including ice. More important, ice cream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having a fridge is one of the best things about our van. It was a delightful surprise. The first time we pulled eggs or hotdogs out of a dry cold fridge instead of a wet cooler..... PRICELESS. And bringing premade soups/chili on the trip is much better with a fridge.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep, the fridge in the big RV makes it like home. But this is the camper van.

We manage the water in the cooler by keeping all ice in big Rubbermaid juice containers we get at Walmart. 13-15# of ice fits in the three we have. Also then, when we visit people along the way, as we usually do, we freeze them solid.

And when we prep for a trip at home, the soup, chowder, chili are frozen as part of the cooking system.

But coolers don’t work well for the ice cream ☹

We are thinking of selling the 26 foot class C and doing another conversion in an extended Promaster, in which case, I would go fridge.

One important point on the options- how do you use the van? That is the question that drives most of our thinking on the conversion.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I put my little funds I had into 400 watts of solar on the roof and a pair of deep cycle batteries. 90 amp/hr each. and then took the little student fridge I had let my daughter use in college and put that in the van atop a old maple nightstand from a thrift shop. Batteries in the bottom, fridge on top. A 500 watt PSW inverter runs the fridge just fine. Its a very quiet fridge too.

I'm not gonna sweat getting the most absolute efficient and expensive fridge when the money can be spent just generating more power and storing it. That's a game for you rich guys. ;-)

Got the fridge at Lowes ten years ago for $120. I have no idea what brand it is. It is black though.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Norcold NR751, has a freezer, works great.

I have this same fridge and, honestly, it's just OK. Perhaps my expectations were set too high, but when they call it a freezer I think "ice cream", and this fridge won't keep my ice cream frozen beyond milkshake consistency. At the same time with the same settings, my peas and carrots in the fridge will be frozen.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Weird, I have a NR751 and had to turn it down to 1, as at 2, it was almost freezing stuff inside (beer, milk, etc) that was close to the freezer. At setting 1, the stuff in the freezer is frozen (ice cream and burritos) and the stuff in the fridge is **** cold. The stuff I want a touch warmer gets put in the door, the stuff I want coldest gets put next to the freezer, and the bottom is the middle.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I found the freezer door on my NR 751 was popping open a tiny bit and the Ice cream got soft. I added a velcro strip and circle so when I want I can close the freezer door and push the velcro strip into the velcro dot on the face of the door and it stays frozen.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Weird, I have a NR751 and had to turn it down to 1, as at 2, it was almost freezing stuff inside (beer, milk, etc) that was close to the freezer. At setting 1, the stuff in the freezer is frozen (ice cream and burritos) and the stuff in the fridge is **** cold. The stuff I want a touch warmer gets put in the door, the stuff I want coldest gets put next to the freezer, and the bottom is the middle.

I keep mine between 1 and 2 and unless we're in and out of it often, it will freeze veggies placed at the back. We tend to carry lots of veggies, so keeping them all on the bottom/front isn't possible -- some of the overflow always end up migrating to the back of the top shelf, and there they freeze.

At that same setting any ice cream will be a thick liquid. Even at 4 the ice cream is just past milkshake consistency, while everything below is frozen solid.

I've tried to create a better insulative pocket within the freezer box itself, but can't honestly say it's improved in any measurable way.

·
Banned
413 Posts
I found the freezer door on my NR 751 was popping open a tiny bit and the Ice cream got soft. I added a velcro strip and circle so when I want I can close the freezer door and push the velcro strip into the velcro dot on the face of the door and it stays frozen.

I wish it were that easy. My freezer door firmly latches. If it doesn't I can hear it bouncing as we hit bumps/seams/corners in the road, but that's a rarity.

·
Banned
413 Posts
I think you have a defective fridge dude :(

Maybe. It died back in November -- or at least needed the thermostat replaced. Took almost a month for Norcold to deal with the local service center (and vice versa) and get the right parts to them for replacement. I've only used it once since then, but it didn't seem any different after the repair.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,125 Posts
Hi,
Also have the Norcold 751 and have been happy with it.

Have not had the problem of soft ice cream and freezing veggies yet.

It may not be quite as efficient as some of the Engel fridges, but its good.
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/design...alley/measuring-refrigerator-electricity-use/

If you can build the fridge enclosure a littler larger than needed and incorporate something a half inch or one inch of polyiso around it, that would cut energy use (as long as the condenser coil is not embedded in the case as it is on some fridges).

Gary

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Indel B works for us. It's been 2 years of perfect operation.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Indel-TB41A-Travel-Portable-Refrigerator/dp/B01J0WQ5RK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515011775&sr=8-2&keywords=indel+b[/ame]

Mike

1 - 20 of 33 Posts