Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum - I have a 2019 136 Promaster that has the negative ground bolt underneath. This ground bolt interferes with the aftermarket hitches, which I plan to install next weekend (I was aware of this ahead of time based on this forum as well as reviews on Etrailer). I am looking for a recommendation as to the best way to rust proof the spot where I have removed the bolt. Is just a regular Rustoleum or Por 15 product sufficient? Or, is there something stronger that I should use, especially since it is underneath the vehicle where there is a lot of abuse. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I've had good results with a rubberized undercoat spray (Por 15, etc). I find 2-3 coats works best. Stop each one right before it starts dripping/running.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I would not bother buying a can of POR15 unless you plan on using it for something else. It goes bad quickly and would be rather wasteful for the tiny, tiny amount you would use. The PM is not prone to rust and really any kind of rust proofing spray paint will doe the job.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,042 Posts
I am going to suggest something a little different.

Either Carwell's product or Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protect.

They are both oil based and penetrate into every crevice to protect the metal. They work even if you get chips, cracks, or scratches. Most undercoat products depend on getting a good impenetrable coating, and eventually they all will fail when something gets through or behind.

Oil based products do not depend on a barrier, they penetrate and get everywhere, you re-apply a little periodically and they protect. I used it on my prior van, my promaster, and my subaru all in the northeast and no rust on the undercarriage. You can spray it inside doors, etc to prevent the bottom of the door rust that seems to come with age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts