Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gathering tools and materials for my conversion of my City Cargo Van. I will need to purchase a drill. Any recommendations to use or advice on what to avoid? I could use corded or cordless. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am gathering tools and materials for my conversion of my City Cargo Van. I will need to purchase a drill. Any recommendations to use or advice on what to avoid? I could use corded or cordless. Thanks!
I'm using a $40, 18v cordless from HF (Warrior) and very surprised at how well it does the job. The battery is not detachable but that's not an issue for me. Had the budget allowed, I might have purchased a Milwaukee. Definitely 18v and Kobalt even has 24 volt tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My advice is to get something in your budget that is quality and stick with that for battery compatibility in the future. This way down the road you can buy bare tools and have batteries ready to go.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
124 Posts
Oh, you've opened up a can of worms now! Red vs. blue vs. yellow. Pro vs. prosumer. Oh, my!

I'm deep into the Ryobi ecosystem, and I'm generally happy. If I were to start over now, I'd probably jump into Milwaukee. Any of the major brands will work fine for you though. Once you're tied to a battery though, you're locked in.

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
124 Posts
That is a good deal, but you are not likely to need the impact driver for anything van related. Also not sure how much if at all you would use the multi-tool.
If he's fastening two pieces of wood together, he's going to want an impact. The DeWalt also has a setting that lets you use it as a driver and not have it impact. Oscillating multitools are interesting. I don't remember the last four things I've used mine for, but I know that there wasn't another tool that would have done those tasks.

A jigsaw is good for a van, too. Curves everywhere.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
. . . Red vs. blue vs. yellow. . . .
I have an old brushed Dewalt Lithium driver and drill set. I use them all the time and they are solid. Drove 1000's of screws on a fence project a few summers ago and they have held up like champs. My wife and I just got the above set as a housewarming present for our son who just bought a house . . . he will have plenty of fixing to do :)

They had a brushed Craftsman 3-piece that included a reciprocating saw rather than the oscillatory multi-tool:

But who knows who makes Craftsman or if they are any good anymore.

I agree with you as far as once you pick your color, stay with it so you can share batteries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a multi tool when I was building my house, after that I couldn’t believe I waited so long. I used it constantly for the house and now that I started the van I still use it all the time. It can often outperform a jigsaw on thin stock, with a much better finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cordless ⅜" chuck - 18v minimum don’t waste your $ on 12v junk
Thanks for the advice. I will look for an 18v.
If he's fastening two pieces of wood together, he's going to want an impact. The DeWalt also has a setting that lets you use it as a driver and not have it impact. Oscillating multitools are interesting. I don't remember the last four things I've used mine for, but I know that there wasn't another tool that would have done those tasks.

A jigsaw is good for a van, too. Curves everywhere.
I have a circular saw, reciprocal saw, and small electric bandsaw. I will need to get some saw horses, though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I got a pair of these cheesy sawhorses:

I actually quite like them, and at only $20 I'm not freaked out that I might ruin them.

Frankly, I like them better than my old set that is constructed like these:

Which I promptly ran my carbide-tipped circular saw through when they are new, and the legs have become bent and jenky.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
818 Posts
I've been using my drill all the time for the past 6 months and still don't know what "3/8" chuck" means. I thought chuck has something to do with where it grips the bit, but that thing is adjustable. Ok I looked it up and it means the max size. My cheapo drill is 1/2" and it definitely comes in handy for larger bits.

I got the cheap plastic sawhorses similar to these and they are great. I don't see how one would get away without the notches on top that hold the 2x2s in place. The notches on the sides are nice too for an extra shelf below, but I usually just put my stuff on one end or the ground.

As for tool color, I went with lime green to be cheap, but kinda wish I went with yellow or red now that I realize I'm using these ALL THE TIME. But I did get the cheapest green available. Funny I got this cheapo 5 pack and they are all fine except the vac which is weak and I never use. I bought a jigsaw and hand router separately and these are the ones giving me (a bit of) trouble. They work though. If I went into woodworking I'd get better.

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
You’re correct about the chuck. I really should have said get a ½" one because ⅜" is a minimum - forget a ¼" one. that’s for sissies!
Most drill bits come with cut down ⅜" shanks these days tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been using my drill all the time for the past 6 months and still don't know what "3/8" chuck" means. I thought chuck has something to do with where it grips the bit, but that thing is adjustable. Ok I looked it up and it means the max size. My cheapo drill is 1/2" and it definitely comes in handy for larger bits.

I got the cheap plastic sawhorses similar to these and they are great. I don't see how one would get away without the notches on top that hold the 2x2s in place. The notches on the sides are nice too for an extra shelf below, but I usually just put my stuff on one end or the ground.

As for tool color, I went with lime green to be cheap, but kinda wish I went with yellow or red now that I realize I'm using these ALL THE TIME. But I did get the cheapest green available. Funny I got this cheapo 5 pack and they are all fine except the vac which is weak and I never use. I bought a jigsaw and hand router separately and these are the ones giving me (a bit of) trouble. They work though. If I went into woodworking I'd get better.
Great call on saw horses with slots for 2×4! Didn't think of that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm a beginner, so please listen to the other people here for serious advise. But I wanted to say, I had a drill and I was really struggling. All the self tapping screws were getting stripped heads and I wasn't breaking through the metal. I figured there had to be a better tool, so I found an impact driver, Dewalt, for $59 @ lowes. It's just 12V, and I guess I wouldn't have bought it had I realized that wasn't optimum, but really it's works great. All the screws go in fine, and I've not stripped a single screw head. It's small so I can get in odd places. And It makes a great sound. I just have the battery & charger it came with but it's lasted all day every day so far. Another tool that's been a godsend is a circular saw (skil from lowes for $39) and I got a kreg rip guide (Lowes, @ $39, and a triangle thing, I forget what that's called, but it was like $7 and it makes for perfect straight cuts. I would go nuts if cut lines intended to be straight weren't straight, a personal quirk. Those are my favorite tools that I use the most. I also use a jigsaw for curved lines.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts