Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Promaster, 1500, 136 WB, Ducka You Head Lowla Bridgeada Roof
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lousy back and don't do well on flat mattresses, no matter how terrific they are. Since we can't get an adjustable bed into our 136" wb, and we aren't going to be full-timing it for awhile so we don't need bed storage, we decided on a loveseat recliner that we would also sleep in for a night or two at a time.

The RV styles were expensive, so we got a standard wallhugger one for about $600 at Wayfair. It's wonderful. Measures 65" wide (there are shorter ones are as little as 56", but we didn't want to feel smushed with our 2 dogs), 42" deep, and 67" expanded. The seats articulate separately, of course.

It looks a little weird in there because we haven't seen others do this, and because the van is still empty. So, our camper currently looks more like a furniture moving van! We've decided the cabinetry and decor will be traditional old-school class-B oak, so the recliner feels at home in its surroundings. 😉

It sits right behind our seats (which will swivel some day), against the driver's side wall and we can still move in and out of the cab in the upright position. It faces the sliding door, where we'll have a bug screen. (The back of the van is where the bath and kitchen are going, because our vent is on the ceiling there. We have a sliding door planned to close that section the when it's in bathroom mode.)

We figured that rather than climbing in and out of bed for bathroom visits at night, which can be frequent for either of us, this was also ideal.

Also, we like having a comfortable place to sit if it rains or gets too hot or too cold outside. For us, our weekends are for relaxing rather than hard core activities because the Mr is on his feet all day at work.

You'll see the Mr's feet resting in it at a park for lunch. The van is also his daily driver, so I thought it would be so much nicer for him than the driver's seat. He eats, then sets his phone for an alarm so he can nap. 😏

I'm writing this to encourage anyone with similar aches and pains - or none at all - to go on and van! Any way you can! It's okay to do it at your own pace, in your own unique style - that's the beauty of customizing a van! To each, his or her own!

I guess this literally makes me an armchair tourist now...😉
The Mrs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super cool! I appreciate anything that helps people live their dream. Recliners can certainly be comfy places to sleep.

i do hope you have a way to secure it, though.
Thanks so much, MsNomer! Yes indeed, hardest thing to do in a recliner is stay awake. 😉

We haven't secured it yet because the floor isn't finished, but we do have the factory "wood" floor and could use the tie-downs somehow. It doesn't budge at all, but now that you mention it, in an unforseen accident it could be dangerous, so it's probably something we should take care of ASAP. Thanks! 💕

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have chronic, episodic neck pain--when it hits, I am in amazing, just-shoot-me-now pain, and I can't lie down. A sleep-inducing drug cocktail helps wipe it out, and then when it's gone, it seems as though I'm the healthiest guy on the planet. We have taken to bringing zero-gravity chairs on the road; these are essentially folding recliners, if you're not familiar with them. When the pain hits and I can't sleep in our bed, I set the chair up so that it leans back between the front seats and my feet go into the galley aisle; my less arthritic wife stays in bed. I have been able to sleep there many nights. Much smaller than the lazy boy approach discussed in the OP, but I find it even more comfortable than our fancy big recliner at home. I learned about the zero gravity chairs from my community acupuncturist, who uses them for her clients. She adds a 1 inch foam pad, but honestly, I don't need the pad. ANYWAY--I'd recommend trying the zero-grav chairs as a first option for people with similar spine issues or lung congestion, who discover that a reclining sleep is effective for them from time to time. As a plus,they are great camp chairs and good for napping outside or looking at the stars without craning your neck. Fold up fairly small (about 3.5" x 26" x 37" per chair) and can be bungeed inside our van against the wall. I got our pair used for $50 (for both) but you can find them new for as low as about $70/pair sometimes on eBay. No reason you couldn't clamp these onto the floor or just bring them as your bed and set them up at night, if that's your pleasure--much lighter and cheaper and possibly less likely to kill you in sudden deceleration than the lazy boy.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vlouish, I'm so sorry about your neck - and so glad you found a solution that lets you camp!!

My pain isn't as severe, but it's every day, so, the recliner works better for us or we'd never sleep together on vacay...😉 Plus, I'm a restless, fussy person - it's hard for me to shift around endlessly in zero-gravity lawn chairs, and, I also like the squishy, plush factor of the loveseat. 😏

We're all fortunate that there's an option for our individual quirks when making our very own campers! Thanks for sharing your solution - I bet it's much more ideal for many!

Oh, and we'll lock the recliner down like any other piece of furniture in a van or class-B, promise! 👍

Reactions: vlouish

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That. Plus hot cocoa. 😉 Thanks, Vlouish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts