Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any info on recalls W00 and VB2 ransmission shifter cable??????? anyone?????

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I'm currently number 37 at my dealer for replacement of this item. No information on when it will happen, I'll get it done at some point. I did take a close look at the linkage in question and had my wife shift through the range of gears while looking at it and it appears not to be compromised. And yes I had her depress the brake pedal while doing it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Solution not available is still the status. Mine drops to neutral when I stop sometimes. Won't always shift to drive again easy. Cluster will show drive, then fall back to neutral. Have not experienced an issue while in motion

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Solution not available is still the status. Mine drops to neutral when I stop sometimes. Won't always shift to drive again easy. Cluster will show drive, then fall back to neutral. Have not experienced an issue while in motion
Have you looked at both ends of the cable? if they are still attached the shifter cable recall isn't your problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have not. If I have to fix it, it'll make it to my eventually list eventually. However, this seems to apply exactly:

The transmission shifter cable could separate, disconnecting the transmission shifter from the transmission, which could result in the inability of the driver to shift the transmission potentially resulting in the gear shift lever position not matching the transmission gear.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It eventually re-engages. I can move the shifter and it will change gears on the cluster to show where the shifter is, then reverts to neutral on the cluster. I then go back to neutral with the shifter and try again until it engages correctly

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I guess I read it as once it "separates or disconnects" it doesn't reconnect because it's a mechanical connection that doesn't fix itself.

Anyway I think your the first.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hmm. I'd say it's more like it's loose or slipping, but maybe it's something else. It's been ongoing, but occasional, and is more of an inconvenience and annoyance than an immediate concern for me. I guess if it actually doesn't re-engage one of these times, I'll know I should have fixed it the time before that.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If your cable has the recall problem there should be a kink in the cable somewhere. I checked my cable and it appears to be laid straight. Since FCA didn't provide a photo no one knows what to look for.

·
Registered
355 Posts
These guys have it in stock if it's just a direct swap. (But the recall is different? Or why is the recall solution unavailable?) Were you able to inspect full length easy enough, or just the end points?

This again seems to describe my issue. They make it sound routine. If the recall isn't more than this, why is the solution unavailable? I don't want to waste the effort swapping the cable if it's not the full solution. I waste enough of my time and money as it is

Automatic Trans Shift Cable - Repair or Replace
Your gear shift lever connects to the automatic transmission via a shift cable, and those cables can stretch or break making it difficult or impossible to select the correct gear. Allow our technicians to inspect your Ram ProMaster 2500 to replace or adjust the shift cable if needed.

Edit: said these guys like I was going to link something. Didn't link something. Here's link to shifter cable: https://www.moparpartz.com/p/Ram__ProMaster-2500/Automatic-Transmission-Shifter-Cable/52188986/68166623AC.html

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
  • interior, if you remove the cup holder trim you can follow the cable from the firewall to the shifter, it's almost a straight shot, looks fool proof, it will either pull or push the cable
  • engine compartment, you can visually trace the cable from the firewall to the top of the transmission
I can't see how they could kink it.

Here's a link with photos when I checked mine, Promaster Recall
cable,

top of trans, with shifter circled

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just contacted my local dealer after getting the 2nd notice. They informed me that i am #22 on the waiting list. They said they are getting the replacement parts at a rate of about 1 part every week and a half! What is going on? I thought we were in the era of mass producing things......

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just contacted my local dealer after getting the 2nd notice. They informed me that i am #22 on the waiting list. They said they are getting the replacement parts at a rate of about 1 part every week and a half! What is going on? I thought we were in the era of mass producing things......
The part restriction was loosened earlier this week as there are more parts available in the network. If you'd like any additional assistance let us know.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
They just replaced my shifter cable 5 days ago, yesterday the trans goes out! WTF 69,000 miles and needs a new trans?? Oh and BTW you need new trans mounts and a new radiator and some kind of oil leak, $5,000.00 to fix those things and $1,750.00 to remove the trans to diagnose the problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts