Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a letter in the mail. VB2 / NHTSA 19V-818 Campaign. For 2017 1500 Promasters.

States:

The engine cooling fan on your vehicle may be susceptible to seizure and a cooling fan circuit protection design that may not be sufficient to protect the fan from overheating during a cooling fan seize condition in high speed mode. A cooling fan stall / seizure event could lead to electrical overloading of the fan motor potentially resulting in the thermal degradation of the brush housing, which may lead to a vehicle fire. In some circumstances, the Check Engine and/or the Engine Temperature Malfunction Indicator Lights may illuminate.

It goes on to say that if you have already taken your Promaster in for service to get this fixed (I assume this includes non-dealership mechanics), you can get reimbursed at www.fcarecallreimbursement.com by submitting some documents / receipts.

Anyone else get this letter, or experience this issue that they are recalling for?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Got it yesterday, I think it said something like "fix is not available yet", I'm not worried about it. I filed it next to the solenoid one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got a letter in the mail. VB2 / NHTSA 19V-818 Campaign. For 2017 1500 Promasters.

States:

The engine cooling fan on your vehicle may be susceptible to seizure and a cooling fan circuit protection design that may not be sufficient to protect the fan from overheating during a cooling fan seize condition in high speed mode. A cooling fan stall / seizure event could lead to electrical overloading of the fan motor potentially resulting in the thermal degradation of the brush housing, which may lead to a vehicle fire. In some circumstances, the Check Engine and/or the Engine Temperature Malfunction Indicator Lights may illuminate.

It goes on to say that if you have already taken your Promaster in for service to get this fixed (I assume this includes non-dealership mechanics), you can get reimbursed at www.fcarecallreimbursement.com by submitting some documents / receipts.

Anyone else get this letter, or experience this issue that they are recalling for?
What engine type?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
All engines.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I think 2018 is the end but others probably know better. 2015-(part of) 2018?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m dealing with the Ram EcoDiesel EGR fire recall as well. They estimate that the fix won’t be available until April. There is currently no fix therefore no parts.

Both are safety recalls and involve the potential of a fire. Fiat (Fire.In.A.Truck) is in trouble.

I’ve filed a complaint on the EcoDiesel with DOT. I’ve also contacted my insurance company who are checking on their policy regarding claims involving known safety recalls. I am assuming they would subrogate a comprehensive claim and go after FCA.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I have not heard about the "I’m dealing with the Ram EcoDiesel EGR fire recall as well” issue. What is that and what is the code or number? All I see for my 2015 eco-diesel is the VB2 recall. EGR recall? What is it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have not heard about the "I’m dealing with the Ram EcoDiesel EGR fire recall as well” issue. What is that and what is the code or number? All I see for my 2015 eco-diesel is the VB2 recall. EGR recall? What is it?
Ram 1500 EcoDiesels also have a fire recall. EGR coolers crack and exhaust burns holes into the plastic manifold and truck burns to the ground. VBI was announced by DOT early this month and there is no fix until potentially April.

I own a Promaster 2500 as well, both of which have the potential to ignite. . FCA has a huge liability on their hands right now. Parts are a major issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There is a PICKUP TRUCK tsb for the EGR in Canada but not the US from my list. But I think I would worry about the steering gear recall for the Ram 1500 eco diesel PICKUP TRUCK classic not so much the egr.
I was looking this month as you said, but the recall came out October 24, 2019 for the pickup. I had to use a vin off the use car lot to find it.
VB1 NHTSA 19V-757

1 - 20 of 29 Posts