Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea on how to turn the rear view camera on when not in reverse? I did discover is the rear door is opened slightly it will stay on but I don't really want to drive with my rear door open.

I ask because while towing it's nice to be able to watch what you're towing, be it a car on a dolly or a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking. I would think the switch was on the back door as it stays on when the back doors are open but I haven't found it yet. May be easier to find the wire under the dash and switch it there?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Like the idea, that would be like having the ultimate rear view mirror with no interior obstructions! Could leave the side door slightly open (easy to do, just don't slam it.) If anyone finds another way, please share!

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
By the way, Does anyone knows how to adjust the camera view vertical angle? For some reason it moved and I know lost 25% of the vision, as the bottom view gives me now the back of my truck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
In regards to turning the camera on:

I haven't tried this yet but it looks like the rear door pin is (-) white/blue. Applying a ground with a dash switch to this wire will most likely turn the display on. Two negative effects will be that the rear dome light will stay on and dash will display "rear door open".

The dome light can be dealt with by wiring a relay to kill power to it while the ground is applied to the door switch. But for the dash display I'm not too sure what to do about it yet.

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
is this a DIY posted somewhere or just something you did on the spot without instruction?
Did it without instruction, was just happy to put it back the way it was.

I think the only thing to do is to go to the dealer and have a new one installed.

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just did this yesterday! It works great. All I did was run a wire from the white/blue wire to a switch on my center cup holder and connected the other end to ground. No lights come on at all or door open messages (perhaps because I just spliced it in without cutting the wire so the rear door switch still works as expected). The only negative to doing this is it locks the rear view camera on until you switch it off but that's ok I'd rather watch my trailer with the rear door closed and switch it on and off when I want to!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I discovered the rear door open light does stay on on the dashboard after all, but that's ok. Also if you shut the motor off and leave the rear view camera switched on you can't lock the doors with the key fob. Not a problem if you know it and remember to shut the camera switch off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
By the way, Does anyone knows how to adjust the camera view vertical angle? For some reason it moved and I know lost 25% of the vision, as the bottom view gives me now the back of my truck.
Dealer problem. You should get a Chrysler business link account that way when you go to the dealer you get to jump the line for everything and I mean from the normal people that are not BL customers. There is no charge for that but remind the service guy when you schedule an appointment.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have to say I find that little screen absolutely useless, I am used to using mirrors (towing a trailer) and, wow, can't see nearly anything on that dinky little screen plus the contrast is really bad in sunlight. Sorry I paid extra for that. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I pretty much have to agree! The 5" uconnect is a joke in a big van like this. It can't cost much more than a few $'s more if anything to make the larger one and it would actually be useful instead of a toy. Another case of false economy. I would have opted for my own aftermarket set up if it didn't come with it already in the van.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts