Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do anything on the back for a rear step? If you have any suggestion please share or better yet post some pictures if you have something.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
This is what I've done for a rear step bumper. I needed a good rear bumper to protect the rear doors when they are opened, as I often back up to shippings. We have a shop and the necessary tools to do it, so it was easy for me. It fits in the trailer hitch and is removable.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
This is what i put under the side slider door. Works very well.
I thought about putting 1 under the rear, but i rarely get in and out of the back.
I will get another 1 for the drivers door soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
This is what i put under the side slider door. Works very well.
I thought about putting 1 under the rear, but i rarely get in and out of the back.
I will get another 1 for the drivers door soon.
I looked at Bully
is this the model? Can you give us the product and model # Please? I like that step style but PM is so new no one has a listing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The one i got is a Carr brand. I was delivering a Penske truck to a 4x4 shop and they sell them.He had a single on the clearance table for 22 bucks and i bought it in a gamble that i could make it work.
Easy Peasy with riv-nuts that i learned about on this forum in another thread.
Amazon has them too. Look up Carr truck steps.
But wheres mines at, it acclimated tons of snow and ice burgs during the snows and alot of the black paint wore off.
I may just get 2 polished silver ones next time.

Ps.. the box it came in was for a pair..And the box was loaded with tons of nuts and bolts and spacers and wedges and such.
So i figure it wasnt for any vehicle specific, but for a multi-fit application.
Just a guess
good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rear step- GoRhino. Love it. I use both steps often depending on what I am lifting in and out of the van. Side steps- Carr Super Hoop. Large one on the cargo door, small ones on the front. I kept them tight for ground clearance. I like the side steps but they are not as much of an asset as the rear. All Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yep.. same Carr as mine.. except i wanted mine lower to ease in stepping up. Plus they still clear all curbs that come close to it. Good job!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep.. same Carr as mine.. except i wanted mine lower to ease in stepping up. Plus they still clear all curbs that come close to it. Good job!
Thanks, I might lower the side door step a little. I like the way yours gives boot clearance. I think in between what you did and what I did would be perfect for me. What part of the van did you mount to? My bracket was vertical on the inside of that thick "rail" area. I too used rivnuts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks, I might lower the side door step a little. I like the way yours gives boot clearance. I think in between what you did and what I did would be perfect for me. What part of the van did you mount to? My bracket was vertical on the inside of that thick "rail" area. I too used rivnuts.
Can you post some pics of how you mounted it? Thanks!

·
Registered
810 Posts
i went straight to the bottom of the same spot that yours went up the sides. It splits the difference between the floor and n the street really sweet.
my van seems very tall to jump up in, but this works out perfect for me and doesnt hit any curbs.
Plus it does stick out a tad more that your side mounted step.
Switch your slider step to the bottom mount as an experiment. You may like the result. You can always go back.
good luck.

Ps.. how did you mount the drivers door side.. I havent done it yet, but where i want the single there (bottom mount), looks like im gonna have to riv nut right thru the shield of the fuel fill...?????

·
Registered
86 Posts
They all look nice but what about the backup alarm?
Mine goes off for a curb until it goes under the bumper.
With a rear step it should be going off all the time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hope this helps

I had to practice using that rivnut tool. Never used 1 before so i sacrificed a few till i got em tight. AND, i STILL dont got it down yet!! Lol.. any hints?teicks and tips on the rivnut tool before i tackle the drivers door?
Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
They all look nice but what about the backup alarm?
Mine goes off for a curb until it goes under the bumper.
With a rear step it should be going off all the time.
With my hitch step set out all the way, it beeps. When using it one hole inboard of full out, it does not beep.

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
The quality of the rivnuts makes a big difference. The ones that come with the Astro tool are excellent but there is also a lot of junk out there. Pay attention to hole size, material thickness, top flange size, etc. I've also found the ones with knerled sides work better. Plus make sure you have the tool set for maximum compression when you use it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Rear step- GoRhino. Love it. I use both steps often depending on what I am lifting in and out of the van. Side steps- Carr Super Hoop. Large one on the cargo door, small ones on the front. I kept them tight for ground clearance. I like the side steps but they are not as much of an asset as the rear. All Amazon.
David, do you have a part number for those steps?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Part numbers for steps

Hello, I suck at posting so I am going to blow up this thread with a bunch of replies. Here is number one. I hope the links work....

All from Amazon last November. I was so geeked up about my van I bought these before it was in my driveway.

Large step Carr Super Hoop XP3 124031-1
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DME5DM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Small steps sold as a pair- 103991 Super hoop II
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITTW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Go Rhino step D360B Dominator series, black (I paid $86. It is more here now, do some shopping. Other pricing above same)
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012WKCR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rivnuts my way

OK folks, rivnuts are not hard once you grasp the concept. There are multiple tools which can be used to install them but all tools do the same thing, they make the rivnut mushroom out behind the material to crunch the threaded insert in place. I use the most simple tool imaginable and it works great. See pic.

On the right is a wrench. Above the wrench is an allen head bit for my cordless impact driver. You can use a simple allen wrench but it takes a lot of torque to crunch the rivnut.

On the left is the parts of the installation tool loose, A special nut with ridges to keep the rivnut from spinning. a 1/4-20 bolt with an allen head. Some loose rivnuts. (some flat washers missing from loose parts but shown on assembled unit)

The last item is the tool assembled with the rivnut ready to install.

You drill a 3/8 hole, push the assemble through the hole, hold it with the open end wrench, crunch it with the driver. when it stops turning your rivnut is max-crunched and you back it out and repeat.

I bought my rivnuts from Amazon and a friend gave me some of the tiny tools. I am not sure where he gets them. You can make one yourself.

Here is a link to the rivnuts. Someone mentioned quality matters and I agree. These are good.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mounting Carr Steps

Can you post some pics of how you mounted it? Thanks!

Jimmbomb mounted his with the foot horizontal. I mounted mine with the foot vertical. My opinion is the step is very low the way he did it but he likes it. I also feel mine was too high so I might keep my foot vertical and lower it. Looking at the pic I can go down about one inch and I think that would be perfect. Centerline of the big step is at 10" from ground. 9" is my ideal place. My fronts ended up 9". Here are some observations I learned from this exercise.

#1- The van is not level. Back end is higher. Do not use a level to install.
#2- Making the step perfectly parallel is the right thing on the side step but the front steps mount to a slightly curved frame and it appears to be crooked if you do that. I recommend installing one bracket then using your eye to establish the other bracket position. If you look at my pic the front step appears off a tiny bit as I did not do this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts