Ram Promaster Forum banner

241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
167 Posts
Let me first say thanks to all that have provided info to this tread. I have a 2018 2500 HT. Just finished speaker upgrade to the front base and tweeters (JBLs) and added rear speakers (4x6 Lansings). Was able to tap into the B pillar "Audio Connector" using the proper mating plug for the rear speakers. Following the above video was able to turn on the rear speakers...Thanks for that info. Very happy with the upgrade. Just some notes: In the A pillars behind the "On My God Handles" there are airbags, so be careful. The A pillars covers came out pretty easy, the passenger side was a lot easier for some reason. When selecting your speakers be careful of the depth, had to send one set back. While you got everything apart add sound dampening and insulation. Before installing the front base speakers add a little butyl tape to the edge, to help with vibrations. Go with the mating plug and male pins (buy extra pins to practice crimping) for the Audio Connector so cheap and clean. When looking for the rear speakers it tough to find ovals with covers included and I think most 6x9 will require a little cutting, if going in the upper door section.

While pulling wire did find a rear roof leak at the D pillar, coming from a small crack in the lap seal next to the rain gutter. Also notice moisture in the rear red roof lights. So dry both and sealed them up. Really 1,000 miles and fixing leaks. Got a 20 year old Toyota 4Runner with a sunroof, never a leak.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah, I had 2 Tundras before the van.
It's like vehicles made on 2 different planets as far as engineering, QC, reliability, etc.
But, Toyota doesn't make a full size cargo van. So, just gotta bite the bullet, keep a lotta caulk and duct tape on hand and hope for the best.
;)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It's a van. As far as vans go, I do like it.
Actually I like it a lot. I got a little spoiled the previous 7 yrs with the Toyotas. I knew going into the van purchase that I might be taking a step back to the days of always wrenching on my vehicles. But I really wanted a van, so if I complain, it's tongue in cheek.
I think this is van # 6 or 7 for me. Maybe even 8. I stopped counting vehicles a while ago (not Jay Leno counting cars. More like a broke working slob that's had a lot of used beaters). Even if it ends up with leaks, ticks and I have to keep a box of tools, duct tape and headlight bulbs with me, it's still the nicest van I've had. My last van was a 2005 E150 pass van with an anemic 4.6 V8. That was the nicest one I'd ever had and the promaster is light years ahead of that.
The only thing I'm not real crazy about is not being able to tilt the steering wheel. Might investigate a fix for that. Other than that, don't have much to complain about until if/when it breaks down. Even then I probably won't complain. I mean, I traded a 4 yr old full size Toyota pickup with nothing wrong with it, for a Chrysler cargo van made by robots in Mexico.
Complaining would be like purposely jumping in the lake and then b!tching that you got wet.
My meds are wearing off. What thread is this anyway?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
The only thing I'm not real crazy about is not being able to tilt the steering wheel. Might investigate a fix for that.
Way back when, somebody here posted a way to tilt. IIRC, it was a wedge into one of the attachment points, so the tilt was permanent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I installed rear speakers in my 2019 when it was new. They work fine - and there is a built-in fader in the UConnect system. There is a video I found on the ProMaster site on how to install them. I did have to buy some special pins to plug in the speaker wires into the box that is in the pillar behind the passenger seat. Wiring was a breeze. Let me know if you can't find the video (very professionally done), and I also have PLENTY of pins leftover - had to buy a roll of 100, and only needed four ;)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Not sure if I'll do rear speakers or not, but I was thinking about that block and pin connectors. If there's enough slack in the wiring, I think I'd like to remove the block, label all the wires and crimp insulated female spade connectors on each wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In case someone needs it, I was able to pull the 2014 "add rear speaker" PDF location within that terrible website from 2013.
Use Charged021 Post #137 for the 2016 model year, and change the 2016 in the url link to 2014, to see the specific complicated dealer steps to get rear speakers enabled on the early model year Promaster.

Essentially outlines (Post #22 - from Steve) the dealer required steps to unlock the option. Also has has some pictures.

I wired up the rear speakers, Upgraded the Firmware in my 2014 Promaster, and tried to get it enabled in the Engineering menu, with no luck, I'll bring these instructions to a dealer when I can for them to try to get it working.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wired up the rear speakers, Upgraded the Firmware in my 2014 Promaster, and tried to get it enabled in the Engineering menu, with no luck, I'll bring these instructions to a dealer when I can for them to try to get it working.
Make sure that the speakers you are adding have a 4 Ohm load. Speakers with an 8 Ohm impedance will not be recognized.

241 - 251 of 251 Posts