Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a terrible design on the shock boot. The water sits on the top cup and leaks down into the boot and rots out the steel because the drainage holes are too small IMG_5287.jpg . This van is only 35 months old. Dealer missed this several times over the last 2 months and I caught it because of the rattle.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Holly you know what!

One of mine has slid down and I keep forgetting to get some kind of tool out there to put it back in place. They sure are made cheaply!!

Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Aren't the shocks right next to the wheels? Road debris thrown up from the tires would trash the shock rods without the boots. Maybe open up the drain hole a little and make sure it points down.
Wow , Rot your shocks ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Those boots are not designed correctly. They should be snug at the top and then ride down smooth over the outside of the bottom portion being long enough that the rod is never exposed. Anything that would somehow get inside the boot would then simply fall our due to gravity. The pistons are more or less self wiping as long as you keep direct impact off of them. The bottom fitting is way too snug.

Chris

·
Registered
171 Posts
As reference this is how looks like a X250 (Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Jumper) rear shock absorber (the photo was published to show the Al-Ko air suspensions installed).

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
I just checked mine while I was checking the rear brakes and they look fine after 34 months and 73k miles of New England driving

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Bilsteins that are replacements have the steel cover that protects the shaft. I had to get OEM's because I would not wait 2 days. My Sister works for MOOAR distribution hub in Michigan so with a discount and the half day to get them I did it. Bilsteins are the way to go.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That rear shock has the boot on the way it should be.

Chris
Yes it was on both. The problem is that the top of the boot has a cup and vent holes which turn into drain holes and a little dirt plugs up the bottom and traps the water and that leads to destruction of the shock tower. Like I said, terrible design.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think it would be best to remove the boots?
I was thinking that putting them upside-down would be OK but I am not sure how the design internals are set up. The bottom has a hose clamp and much less susceptible to water pooling as the top is.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
486 Posts
What a terrible design on the shock boot. The water sits on the top cup and leaks down into the boot and rots out the steel because the drainage holes are too small View attachment 32129 . This van is only 35 months old. Dealer missed this several times over the last 2 months and I caught it because of the rattle.
With all the dirt and mud on that shock I would say that something likely tore the boot loose or tore a hole into the boot. This is a maintenance part and will not last the life of the van.

While the user guide does not specify a replacement mileage for shocks, they do wear out. Shocks only last about 40-50,000 miles at the most. Most people just get used to the bad handling and rarely replace shocks.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Just ordered new Bilstien's for mine. They are coming in a few days and I'll report back on the results.

Does anyone happen to have the torque specs for the shocks?

·
Registered
754 Posts
2014 misc. rear torque specs: Nm // ft-lb

Wheel Mounting (Lug) Bolts: 198 // 146
Shock Absorber Lower Mount: 160 // 118
Shock Absorber Upper Mount: 165 // 122
Brake Caliper Adapter Bolts: 100 // 74
U-Bolt To Spring Plate/Axle: 134 // 99

1 - 20 of 32 Posts