Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although my PM didn't come equipped with a rear 12vdc power outlet, there was a cut-out in the passenger side plastic quarter panel (just inside rear door to the right, about chest high) which looks like the appropriate size for a cig lighter outlet.

I removed the panel to see if there was wiring present, and observed this connector immediately behind the cut-out. Checked the fuse panel and there is a 15a fuse in place designated "rear power outlet". However, I do not get 12vdc to this connector no matter what (key on, engine running, rear interior light on).

Is this the rear power connector and any guesses as to why it's DOA?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Can you see what color the wires are? That might help track it down on a wiring diagram. It could be power for the back up camera or backup sensors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you see what color the wires are? That might help track it down on a wiring diagram. It could be power for the back up camera or backup sensors.
Brown/White Stripe & Black.

Back-up camera is already working/powered. This plug is immediately next to the rear power plug hole.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's pretty likely that power to that cable is fed through a relay, and that relay is only turned on if the central body control module is configured to do so. If that's the case, it would require someone who knows what they are doing to go into the diagnostic system with the right software to re-activate that feature.

I know what software and cable are needed to do that on a VW, and on a Mercedes-Benz, but not on a Fiat. It's pretty likely that said software and cable are the same on all Fiats, and it's even likely that the body control module is the same or very close. Anyone in your area familiar with Fiat 500 tinkering?

·
Registered
424 Posts
On modern vehicles "it's the way it's done". It's less expensive, and more flexible. You want the power outlet switched with ignition? No problem. You want it to retain power? No problem. You want it to retain power for a certain time after key-off? No problem. You want it to retain power unless the battery voltage drops too low and then kill it to save the battery? No problem. Someone didn't buy that option package? No problem, we'll make all the wiring harnesses the same and just eliminate the device itself (socket) and disable it in software, this way even the controller can be the same, just configured differently.

It also allows the controllers to talk to each other. In the old days, the dome light was just hard-wired to the switch on the door. On these vehicles, you know how the dome light stays on for a while after you get in and shut the door, but it goes out the moment you've turned the key? Nice feature. And it's possible, or even easy, because the various controllers know what each other are doing. To try to do that with hard wiring, would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Brown/White Stripe & Black.

Back-up camera is already working/powered. This plug is immediately next to the rear power plug hole.
Hmm… On the wiring diagram it shoes the rear power outlet having a yellow wire and a black wire.

The only Brown with white stripe wire i can find on the wiring diagram is for "EBL Relay" and is part of a large connector with a dozen or so wires on it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have a hunch that the "computer activated option" is possible.... disappointing, but possible. I'm not sure that the use of an auxiliary power socket rises to the level of needing to be computer controlled, but I guess that on some cars, the buyer's need to visit the dealer increases service department revenues.

GapRunr, I wonder if that EBL connector is related to trailer lighting, as in "Electronic Brake Light".... also, sent you a message....

Ed

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just thought of another thing that it might be (and I could be out to lunch because I haven't looked back there myself). On the European models, the uppermost position in the taillight assembly is used for something. On the North American models, it isn't. (Euro models have a standard-equipment high-intensity rear fog light which is not present on ours.) Could that cable be meant to power the nonexistent bulb?

I have a feeling that's not it, because usually all of the taillight circuits go through one big plug.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I took the covers off the back corners on my van. I think I figured out what the mystery connector discussed above is.

Hint 1: there's one on each side in the back corner
Hint 2: heavy gauge wire

My guess... it's the feeds for heated rear window glass!

I don't have that feature so i can't say for 100% sure, but....

Ed

ps. it would be great to use these for something else back there, but they are probably computer controlled....aaarrrrgggghh!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have the rear window defrosters in mine. Tomorrow, ill pull the panels and see if that color wire is hooked up...TBC

·
Registered
810 Posts
Here's the brown/stripe and black wire in my passenger side rear column.
The drivers side is a red/black .
And i have the rear window defrosters.
Still.. no constant power to the rear columns for adding a 12 vt power port.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Here's the brown/stripe and black wire in my passenger side rear column.
The drivers side is a red/black .
And i have the rear window defrosters.
Still.. no constant power to the rear columns for adding a 12 vt power port.
Jim,

If you follow that wire, does it go to the tube that protects the wires going to the door?
That would confirm it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts