Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this curse is back in a big way - of course preventing ANY doors from being locked and beeping all day with its dash warning - fun!

So up to now I've been able to carry a #2 Torx with me and loosening/retightening the passenger side middle door hatch has fixed it for a few days at a time before it starts doing its thing again. There is no real adjustment there at all, just a loosening and re-tightening only.

Anyone got any tips on how to work this out before I give up and take it into the stealership?

I've tried adjusting the two lower black rubber(?) pads also.

Specific details of where the electronic latch is would be great and what exactly should be 'adjusted'.

The stealer won't simply order a replacement and swap it out for me on the fly - oh no, too easy - I have to leave it there, have them verify there is an issue - then they order the part - I wait a week - then take it back in :(.

Any more self help tips appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a thought.........The lower track area is very good at collecting screws and other obstructions. Little parts can roll around in there and get pinched in the door and hold it open just enough to give you the open door warning at your first stop of the day, roll out of the way for a while, and roll back in the way of the door shutting later and give you fits. I have been frazzled by this a few times but now it is routine for me to check that area out, especially if the door does not shut perfectly the first time. When that area is perfectly clean my door works well every time. Note: Things can slide way up in there out of sight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that, but just now rechecked it. Seems all clean/clear.

Called the 'dealer' and was told they are booked up through next Monday so the first time they can take it in is Tues - a week wait just to have them look at it. Apparently they have ONE tech who is qualified to work on the PM.

I hate dealing with them but I guess I have no choice. Plus it is a roll of the dice using the van for a whole week where any scumbag can help himself to my inventory and tools at will :|

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I missed the part somewhere that the SIDE door will also trigger a REAR DOOR open sensor warning.

Fiddled with the side door and now the red icon is OFF on the display. The letters STILL scroll that the REAR DOOR is open, however the van lets me lock the doors.

****. As long as it lets me lock my doors I am 90% happy.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
A thought?

1) The side and rear door have sensors to indicate a door ajar.

2) if we could find the wire that tells the computer that the door is ajar and cut it (or ground it if need be), the door is no longer ajar (in the computer's eyes) and the door locking should work.... no?

2a) adding a switch for on/off of "door lock sensing" on the door, inside, would allow everything to work normally if the sensors are working right. In a situation where the sensor is preventing you from locking your van, just click a switch to bypass the sensor.

(downside - rear cargo lamps would probably not work.... I can live with that!)

3) if this is also done on the driver/passenger doors, then you could press the "all lock" button on the dash after opening the driver door, get out, close the door, and the van would be locked... no?

may be worth researching... I haven't had this issue (yet) but it seems to me there needs to be a way for us to lock the van under any circumstances.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
I'm not positive but the wire that turns the rear view camera on is the same one that lights up the door ajar light I believe. At least when I turn the camera on with my dash switch the rear door ajar light also comes on (it goes out after a few seconds tho). All it does is connect the wire to ground or disconnect it. Try fooling around with that wire. If my memory serves me, it was green with a yellow stripe but if you search for how to switch the RV camera you will my post (with photos) explaining it.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I'm not positive but the wire that turns the rear view camera on is the same one that lights up the door ajar light I believe. At least when I turn the camera on with my dash switch the rear door ajar light also comes on (it goes out after a few seconds tho). All it does is connect the wire to ground or disconnect it. Try fooling around with that wire. If my memory serves me, it was green with a yellow stripe but if you search for how to switch the RV camera you will my post (with photos) explaining it.
Hard to find decent readable wiring diagrams but I think it's a different wire. It seems to me that the door ajar wire from the door talks to the "brains" that then connects the camera... not sure.

In this diagram, it appears that the door ajar wire is WT/DB, white/dark blue?

lock.jpg

If grounding it tells the CPU the door is ajar, I wonder of cutting it means that it can't tell the cpu it's ajar, so the lock will work?

Ed

ps. they call the back door the liftgate in the wiring diagrams. Didn't know we had a pickup truck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the sliding door is not locking, it's because the two metal contacts are not touching between the door and the van body. Fixing the door ajar is easy by pushing the small pin in on the van body side. I put some hot glue on mine for a while when I needed something done.

To this day, almost a year after I bought the van, I'm still messing with this stupid door. I really think that the design of how it opens is the issue. It appears that the cable pushes the latches when pulling on the outside handle. But when opening from the inside, the cable will pull the latch to open, exerting more pressure and it works every time.

Not sure if that makes sense... typed it pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
catalin,

makes sense.

I was thinking in terms of the back door which seems to have more problems with prohibiting the van from locking.

I seem to recall that the white/dk blue wire when grounded WAS the door open / camera trigger when grounded wire.

If so, I would think that in a pinch, cutting that wire so it could not connect to ground would fool the van into thinking the door was closed and allow the power door locks system to work.

A switch to disable the sliding door sensor (much like gluing the pin in) would do the same for that door.... in theory

Ed

·
Registered
258 Posts
I only applied glue to the pin to 'extend' the range of it so the door would push it in. When I first picked up the van my back door wasn't locking either but after opening the door we discovered that the plug wasn't pushed and locked in at the actuator...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
catalin,

seems like the pin switch on the glider is also grounding to tell the CPU the door is ajar.

slider.jpg

not sure what color VT is, but it seems like cutting the Black/VT wire would disable the ajar sensor.... haven't had a chance to go look at the van to see what's what.

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curious if anyone has had any luck with the side door sensor going off in their Promaster? Mine will go on and off all the time, taking a turn, pulling up to a stop, etc and then I can't lock the van.

I did find this neat trick to get the van to lock while I wait to figure this out. You push on the door (on the outside) where the sensor is and it allows the van to lock. So the sensor is just not touching enough.

Has anyone tried to adjust the sensor or have any input for how to get the metal contacts touching better so this stops happening? Weirdly in warmer weather it doesn't happen as much.

-Kyle

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found that the lower portion of the door opening has 2 rubber stoppers that thread in.. Over time they unthread which make them seem like spacers preventing the contacts to touch.. just twist them in and then bingo.. no more space..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found that the lower portion of the door opening has 2 rubber stoppers that thread in.. Over time they unthread which make them seem like spacers preventing the contacts to touch.. just twist them in and then bingo.. no more space..
OMG!! TY! I was absolutely positive that I had an electrical issue going on that made my van keep thinking the rear doors were open when they weren't. It was those rubber stoppers inside the side slider! There are actually 3 of them. They were backed out 2-3 threads and that's all it took. Twisted them back in and all was golden!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts