Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been designing a roof rack with the thought that the rear ladder would go up the left side of the rear of the van (over the left side door) I just realized today that that could be construed as blocking the view of the license plate. Doing a visual search there seems to be both options available out there. The Surco is usually mounted on the left, the Prime design on the right. The right mount seems to make the door latch a bit challenging to get access to and since it is the prime access door I'd rather not have it on that door.

Those of you with the ladder on the left, ever get pulled over for obscuring your plate? Anyone hear any issues with the left mount?

Before I start committing to the rack I need some reassurance I'm not going to have to change everything at a later date based on the need to move the ladder.

thanks

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Winnebago does this.....

Ladder on left, bike rack on right.

This thread might help: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=361905

Or, consider using a telescoping ladder and store it inside. Forum member z120pi (Eric) did this:

He stores it strapped inside the back door

I got the same ladder, it works great! Handy around the house too :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great ideas thanks. I think I may need to have one custom made that is a bit wider to fully expose the plate, like the one on the link you provided. I've also wanted a rod/handrail that would telescope up from the ladder, as I've always found the transition from the ladder to the roof and vice versa rather challenging.

thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check the Alumness driver-side, side-mount design which allows the doors to open fully without the fear of the dreaded wild swing damage. I like too that their design mounts to the rack and the frame vs. the door sheet metal. I'm having a local welder do something similar though on the less than full-size safari style.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I really like your approach orange box. I think I'm going to explore having a custom ladder made. Any drawings you'ld like to share?

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
169 Posts
I had my ladder made so it did not cover the plate what so ever. I really like it on the left side.

That’s a great looking ladder and roof rack.
Very clean.
Quick piggie-back to the ladder inquiry: what’s the roof cargo/rack you have up there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts