Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new hitch for my PMC, $240.00- took about two weeks as most places never heard of a PMC much less any goodies for one. Took a hour to install, bit of that to figure out how to remove the bumper surrounding.
Now figure out how to get a brake light signal from the rear. This puppy is different than other vans in the lighting. One light for the brake light is powered at half brightness, only when brake is depressed does it t full brightness. So I figured to steal voltage from the third brake light, only after hooking it up I
I found that it only comes on for two secs and goes out. So where do
I get constant voltage for brake light for a trailer?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vanpire

Already have a harness setup on weekend, dang brake light going out is a problem.

Even with this harness there maybe a wire for a solid brakes that I need to find.

May have to do with the battery wire yet, thanks

Anyone?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The connections are most definitely at the tail light harnesses All the harnesses seem to have an external module if you will that takes the signal in and converts it out to something. You'll have to macgyever something together most likely, I hope you are handy with 12v!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can someone post a pic or link to the proper trailer hitch? I can't seem to pin down what it looks like.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered a hitch from MoparPartsOnline.com, price $235.48 plus shipping.

A confirmation email states: "Thank you for your order. Unfortunately the price on the site is not correct. The correct price is $300.44. We will need an additional $64.96 to continue with this order. Do you want to continue with this order?"

They don't honor the advertised price. I cancelled the order.

A follow-up email states:
"Original payment - $270.35 USD
"Amount Refunded by Seller - $264.40 USD
"Fees Refunded by PayPal - $5.95 USD
"Total Refund Amount - $270.35 USD

I didn't use PayPal - what are they doing? Buying from eBay and drop shipping?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Paypal... I saw it at Lowes (I think) and they were offering a 2.5% discount for using their instant pay applet in the store... Most any merchant who wants to avoid paying 2 or 3% to credit card companies plus gyp the customer of paypal kickbacks they'd offered them at other places then...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ordered a hitch from MoparPartsOnline.com, price $235.48 plus shipping.

A confirmation email states: "Thank you for your order. Unfortunately the price on the site is not correct. The correct price is $300.44. We will need an additional $64.96 to continue with this order. Do you want to continue with this order?"

They don't honor the advertised price. I cancelled the order.

A follow-up email states:
"Original payment - $270.35 USD
"Amount Refunded by Seller - $264.40 USD
"Fees Refunded by PayPal - $5.95 USD
"Total Refund Amount - $270.35 USD

I didn't use PayPal - what are they doing? Buying from eBay and drop shipping?
Moparonlineparts.com?
They have two negative reviews on their facebook page. Looks like they are just a drop shipper..AKA a middleman and not a distributor.
P.S
Most merchants aren't paying 3% on credit cards, if they are its time they look into a better POS provider. Paypal offers no perks except when they normally side with the buyer for conflicts but its not without hassle. Amex will pretty much refund your money any time if you are good customer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Why would you pay that kind of money in the first place? A Curt hitch is about $100 and the wire harness about $60 you can buy the full set up all day long for well under $176 inc shipping on line.
Um, possibly because the fit and finish of the factory parts is superior. Some people will give consideration to factors other than the bottom line. Thats why I was willing to allow the factory to install the hitch on my big PM for $400.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Everyone concedes the Promaster suspension is stiff so going with the OEM product is a wise choice to get an over-engineered quality product, a smart shopper will not need to pay top retail for it. NOTE: I went with a Fiat-Chrysler OEM hitch as I doubt it was a beer-engineered project for their design team.

I have met a PM owner who had their motorcross bike tossed off their van's hitch mount carrier onto an Interstate Highway when key welds on their bargain after-market hitch failed and the receiver tube sagged on a very busy rush hour stretch of road.

Luckily there were no collateral damages, no van full of orphans driven by a nun fireballing from a ruptured fuel tank or no Doctor on his way to an emergency complicated home child-birth delivery crushed by 280 pounds of Dirt Bike through the windshield...

State Police on scene immediately, with the LEO giving him two minutes to clear the road or citations would be issued: a kind tour bus operator shielded two lanes and allowed him to complete the recovery... he was still wide-eyed as he recalled the whole experience.

Naturally the POS warranty covered no damages and the best the install shop could do was credit him his purchase price against a different after-market hitch.

This person is/was a cool & mature member here who does not enjoy posting here any longer due to overtly hostile 'helpful' & 'grandstanding' replies.. .

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow, KOV. Not very tolerant of others, are you? Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it isn't true.

I've had a few aftermarket hitches, and they are all cheap compared to the OEM option. I had one on a Civic that failed carrying a mountain bike across the country on a road trip. The mounting plate cracked. Kind of glad I only had a bicycle on there instead of the 150 pound tongue weight it was rated for.

Please provide a link to an aftermarket Class IV Hitch comparable to the OEM hitch. All the aftermarket ones I see are Class III.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
23 Participants
Crabapple
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing