Ram Promaster Forum banner

Rear Heater/AC

23K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  wbullivant 
#1 ·
Just wondered if anyone has ordered their Promaster with the Rear Heater/AC Prep Package, and what is required aftermarket to make it operational. I will be transporting dogs, and although I will have a generator and roof mounted A/C unit installed for times when parked, I don't think the dash A/C will be powerful enough to reach the back....I'm looking at a LR 118 or 136.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the great info available... I'd love to order mine soon!!

#2 ·
I don't know what it takes to complete the package, but form what I have read you can't run the A/C until the system is complete something like oil accumulation in the lines just be advised.

#4 ·
That would be a dumb way to implement the option. Sure you'd have to finish the system for the rear to work, but it should still work with the rear capped off. If the rear lines are split off and routed in a manner that oil would accumulate in the capped off lines they should have accounted for that in the original fill, pre-filled the rear lines with oil, or used valves near the tee to block the rear lines. I can't imagine they would sell the vehicle in a condition you can't use the front AC until you finish the rear. No dealer would ever order the option so it would be for conversion van companies only.

My E150 rear condenser started leaking a few years ago. It was too expensive to buy a new one. Mechanic said there were valves in the rear A/C lines so he could just shut them off and recharge the front only.

#9 ·
I did order the prep package but I've never heard anything about not using the system as received from the factory. I have no intention of installing the rear AC but did use the supplied fittings to run heater hose to the rear for a 'motor-aid' HWH system. I've used the AC & heat for the past year with no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.