Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever plumb in rear heat? Was going to post in the how to forum
but I do not know how to.
Took a picture of the firewall at a local dealer and of the heater core.
Looks like easy access to the plumbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its no sauna. With no partition and the temp below 20 degree far it barely keeps up. the cold air hits you on the back of you legs. When it gets colder I hang a blanket across the back of the seat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yea insulation isn't the best from what I've heard. I'm not sure if its best to do a whole project to get the heat working better, or if hanging a blanket is just easier for the comparable cost and effort. I'd welcome people's solutions.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yea insulation isn't the best from what I've heard. I'm not sure if its best to do a whole project to get the heat working better, or if hanging a blanket is just easier for the comparable cost and effort. I'd welcome people's solutions.
I think adding a rear heater versus insulation versus partition (even if makeshift like a blanket) would depend on how the van will be used.

If heat is only needed when driving then a partition of some form to restrict air flow will likely work well at minimum cost and trouble. However, if heat in rear is needed to keep cargo warmer or to do work in rear of van, then it's likely that both insulation and rear heat are needed to keep the cargo area comfortable (unless engine will be running in which case a large heater may be enough). In case of vans used for camping in cold weather, good insulation and a heater are common.

Also, the more windows a van has the less effective added insulation becomes. When I've camped in my window van without a heater the inside temperature goes down to within 2 degrees of the outside temperature.

Both of my vans, which started out as passenger vans, have factory rear air and heat. While driving the rear stays warm, but will cool down quickly as soon as engine is turned off. I'd expect PMs would behave similarly. An uninsulated metal and glass box is just that regardless of brand -- in my opinion of course.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Also cars unlike cargo vans do a much better job at holding in heat since there is so many more things going on, so many barriers stopping the heat from seeping through

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you look at the Ducato camper sites, there window insulation kits for camping that are out there.

Personally, I think I will get an Eberspacher heater for the back. I won't need a/c since I live in the NW.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you look at the Ducato camper sites, there window insulation kits for camping that are out there.

Personally, I think I will get an Eberspacher heater for the back. I won't need a/c since I live in the NW.
Diesel heater?
I do not have the Van yet ,but plan on installing one in the back (heat from the engine). Have to plum the hoses back. Has anyone done this yet.
They had it for an option but was unavailable at the time I ordered.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Rear Heater Install

Here are a few pictures of the heater I installed in my PM. The walls are insulated but was still pretty cold back there. This should make a difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few pictures of the heater I installed in my PM. The walls are insulated but was still pretty cold back there. This should make a difference.
Thanks for photos.
I finished mine quite awhile ago, but never took any pictures.

Nice and warm in the back!:)

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
The heater I installed was a Temro # 700-0501. It cost me 294.99 CND.
This morning it was -24 Celsius and it made a big difference.

Reactions: Dane

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

As you see this is a circuit. The hottest coolant is coming from the engine to heater core first.
Then onward from there. It is more important to have the hottest to the cab.(defrost as fast as possible).

The first picture has the spring supports to prevent kinking. You can get the hoses and the springs supports from
an automotive supply store.
The heater is a 3 speed and also have an on/off switch upfront.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and the last picture of the heater if you were wondering how it can flow air, It sucks in from the front and blows out the sides.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Very clean installation. I made my connections in parellel rather in series. I wasn't sure which way to go, but ends up working good; so I guess both ways are ok.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.
How is the heat in the winter with no partition in these?
I guess it depends on the level of your finish. My van is a contractor van that I insulated with Hein's Thinsulate...everywhere including ceiling. It's been from 8 to 15 degrees earlier this week and it definitely takes a while to heat the van up with the fan on the higher speeds. It will get there but it takes a good 20 minutes or so minimum, but with some patience it gets there. It doesn't get "toasty" for sure but acceptable enough. I couldn't imagine it without the insulation, no way would it ever get warm in 8 degree weather, nor 20 for that matter.

Problem is for me that most of my trips are 15 minutes or so since my jobs are local :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im in the same boat up here in MA. My jobsites are typically less than 30 mins away so the van doesn't get a chance to really warm up. Its been a lot better since I built my partition and installed my heated seat!
Been really thinking about getting a remote starter installed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts