Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 Promaster HT 159 WB. There are a bundle of wires going from the van to each of the rear door interiors. They are severed...all of them. Dealer said he didn’t know what they were for??? But would get it fixed. I picked up the van and now they appear to be attached and wrapped with gobs of electrical tape. Anyone know what they do? I can’t find any lights that don’t appear to be working. Thanks. Mjo

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can think of:
Wire for the sensor that tells the computer that the door isn't closed,
The wires that power the lock actuator, and the wires for the license plate lights.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Cheapo repair! He could have sourced and replaced the wire harness properly!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Didn’t check light for lic plate and didn’t think about door ajar sensor. I’ll check both of those things. My main concern was that something wouldn’t work that would affect motor vehicle inspection.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you pop off the door panels, you can see that there is a moderately clever spring and track system that keeps the wires pulled tight so they do not get bound up in the hinges.

I would suggest finding a local front-end-wrecked van at a junkyard and pull the rear door harnesses out of it. Cut them off (or better unplug them from if there is a handy connector) the donor vehicle as far forward as you can (certainly forward of the hinges) and splice them to your wires away from the movement area around the hinge. In fact, if your van does not have all the track and spring system parts in good condition, you might as well grab all that from the donor vehicle also.

Typically the junkyards do not charge much for that kind of "unidentifiable" stuff, especially if you can find a "Pick-A-Part" or "Pull-And-Save" type place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have some recommendations for replacement rear doors wire harness?

Just called the dealership and it would cost almost 200$ per door.

I've seen a couple products on Ebay but I'm not sure about the fit..
I would also need the plastic housing since it's broken on both side

Ram ProMaster 1500 Door Wiring Harness Rear New OEM 68254201AE | eBay

2015 136 high roof.
Damaged wires probably responsible for in dash warning about top lights and licence plate lights while all lights are okay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought I'd give it a shot.
Don't know about you but I hate it when the dash is looking like a chrismas tree..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just fixed mine on the left side yesterday to the license plate lights. The plastic loom where it meets the vehicle side mount on both sides of mine have been broken fo'eva. Hot wire was broke and the negative was about there as well. I took the taillight cover off, took the door panel cover off, took the vehicle side connector off. Clipped the wires. Soldered in a 2" patch, followed with shrink tube over each wire and then the bundle as much as I could. I then used a 4" piece of 1" shrink tube to "fix" the connector then put an 8" piece of red 1" shrink over that and used a sharpie to write "NO HOLD" on it. Not sure if my driver (newspaper delivery) grabs it to shut the door, I doubt it, I'm guessing they broke in the cold. We'll see how it looks this afternoon when he gets back. Hoping the dual layer shrink tube holds up. Wrapping it in 3-4 layers of electrical tape sure didn't.

I have to take the door cover back off and have him shut it while I sit in the van, I noticed yesterday when I fixed it it made a weird scratching sound like the loom is catching something in there.

What a stupid design for the license lights though, one was burnt out and the other was just rolling around inside the light housing. Doused them with some dielectric, crimped the terminals in a little, now those suckas are tight.

At least if this works I can do the other side for an hour of my labor before I lose the power door lock back there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok thanks for the infos! I could have tried to patch it before ordering a new assembly. Life is quite difficult for those door wire harnesses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts