Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 3500 Promaster. The rear double doors are stuck. The vehicle is definitely unlocked but the doors can only be opened by pulling the inside handle on the passenger side of the van.

When this first happened, I could open the door a dab--just enough so the lights flashed because the door was not fully closed. But I could not actually get the doors open. I had to push it (kick it, actually) really hard to get it shut. Since then I've tried several times but the same thing happens--I can open it from inside but it's very hard to close enough to lock and in fact most recently will not lock though it seems to be tightly closed.

I have unlocked it both via the key fob and the physical key and neither resolves the issue.

Any advice on what I can do to diagnose and hopefully fix the problem without a trip to a dealer (which is a long drive away)?

====

A bit later: I'm quite positive the problem is the latch in the center of the right side (when facing the front of the vehicle from the rear, i.e., the passenger side) of the rear door, in the center. I can easily manually push the white latch part down and it easily goes up when I pull on the inside handle on that door. Nonetheless I doused it pretty well with WD-40 but that didn't change anything.

It looks like with a special tool (for the star screws) I can remove the lock mechanism myself. I'm wondering if that's a smart thing to do, i.e., if it's an easy replacement, or if I should go to a dealer for the work. The door does now lock when I press the key fob, though the problem is when I close the rear doors without locking them I cannot open them except from the inside. That is, even when unlocked the rear doors act as if they're locked.

See photos showing latch both open (by inside handle) and closed (by pushing it closed manually).

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
I’m not positive but there may be a cable that has stretched inside the door. Have you tried removing the panel off the door (if you have one)? It could also be the adjustments are out of whack. There was a service bulletin on this for 2014’s you should check to see if it was done on yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back with my 2014,
dealership ordered a new lock assembly under warranty,
took them a week to finally replace it.
No problems since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two people mentioned a TSB on the lock/door issue. I've searched online but cannot find it. Does anyone have a link to the TSB?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem a few months back with my 2014,
dealership ordered a new lock assembly under warranty,
took them a week to finally replace it.
No problems since.
My van isn't used over winter so I'm just addressing the door issue again now. Can you please provide more information? Your dealer in 2017 fixed the lock assembly under warranty? Under a technical service bulletin, or actually the warranty (which I thought ended after one year)? If you're not sure, could you tell me who your dealer is so I can contact that if my local dealer cannot find anything that will replace mine at no charge?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear Cargo Door Latch, the same issue, closed the door locked it, no problem 6 hours later unlocked and pulled the rear handle , nothing, had to climb through piles of gear to pull the inside handle to open. Next after opening the panel and cheking all the cables the latches center and top are stuck open, Next, fortunately I have slick locks on the rear doors so I just close the door and put on the slick lock to hold it closed. Next since the door is not actually latched tight the door open sensor still thinks its open and cant lock the all the doors unless pushing in on the rear door while pushing lock on the fob, OK at least I can lock it, Next, after no issue for a few days, now the doors wont lock even while pushing, Next, since the rear door latch is broken, I unplugged the connector to the rear latch, PROBLEM SOLVED, All door locks that still work act normal and lock, I use the slick lock to secure the rear door, no sensor light on the dash, all the lock buttons work inside, the only thing that may be affected is the inside rear light, worthless anyway. I have an appointment at the dealer in 3 weeks to look at it, still under warranty but I need it for work. I love this van, hate the lock/latch design, I'm trying to figure out a way to modify the latch and lock system to have a manual override link or cable release to unlatch the door(s) if this ever happens in the future, luckily its stuck open and not closed, not sure what could be done if that happened...

Happy New Year!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts