Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have seen a pmc I want to take out for a drive but it does not have windows in the back doors. I can get a camera retrofitted, but I am told that once you get use to using a back up camera it is just as good or better than a backdoor window?? Is this true?

Mike

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Actually, once you get used to using your side mirrors, you don't really need the back door windows. The camera just makes it even easier to see what is directly behind you, (which is a blind spot on most cars and suvs too)

Ed

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree. I've been driving a long tall Sprinter at work as a plumber for 5 years now. It has no cargo windows and no backup camera. Once you get comfortable with the mirrors (convex side mirrors are a must), The windows are unnecessary. Most beer trucks, moving vans etc. out on the road don't have any windows in the cargo box. It becomes more about knowing the vehicle you're driving. For a newbie, the backup cam may help some.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
But once you have a backup camera, you wonder how you managed to live without one.

Got used s much with the backup camera on my PM, I now ate to put my wife's minivan on reverse, just relying on the mirrors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It can be done with no windows and no camera. It's easier with windows. It's a LOT easier with a camera.

Times when I'm so grateful to have the camera:
-Home Depot parking lot, where people are pushing carts of stuff around and don't care if they are behind someone or not.
-Any parking lot, where people's children are running wild.
-Any time I have to back up close to something for loading or unloading.
-Every day when I get home and back into the driveway.

Any of these can be done without the camera, but they are much less stressful when I can see where I'm going.

I only use the window to see who is behind me when I'm driving. I don't look out the back window if I'm reversing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Backup camera is more useful than the windows. With windows you still won't be able to see directly behind you below 4 feet. Fire hydrant or a post would be invisible. The backup camera gives a much better view of what's directly behind you.

I had rear windows in my GMC van and still backed into a stop sign in a parking lot that was hidden directly behind the split in the rear windows. Thankfully no damage done.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,518 Posts
Backup camera only works in reverse. I like to know what's behind when going forward. However, a vehicle directly behind is blocked by space between rear windows. I'm glad I have both.

·
Registered
338 Posts
No windows no backup camera no problem never had either in any van I have driven. I think unless your hooking up to a trailer on a regular basis spend the money on something else. It's about being aware of your surroundings. I rented a vehicle with a backup camera and found myself paying more attention to what's behind me more than the total area around the vehicle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A backup camera might save the life of a small child right behind the bumper that would invisible from the driver's seat of any vehicle. I hope they are soon standard for all vehicles. An after market system can be turned on even when not in reverse. Now that I have them I wouldn't be without.

·
Registered
120 Posts
depends on the headend. I can have my cam on full time. I use a third party cam and headend. I like my backup camera. Lots of peace of mind when backing up. plus I have blocked the rear window anyway. also can watch my trailer when i get one.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I couldn't imagine backing up a vehicle without rear windows and a camera. Cameras and mirrors are a great help but there is nothing that beats the over the shoulder view either!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I never thought about this but I have never looked out my rear door windows while backing up. I do use my rear camera in conjunction with my side mirrors. So, imho the rear door windows are more for style than safety/usefulness.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Backup camera only works in reverse. I like to know what's behind when going forward. However, a vehicle directly behind is blocked by space between rear windows. I'm glad I have both.
* unless you do the "backup camera switch mod" that lets you click a switch and turn on the backup camera whilst going forward.

Aside from an occasional beep and the cargo lights going on, being able to check what's going on back there is great!

Ed

note: not sure if there is a mod for PMC owners...My comment relates to PM mod.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
OK, OK, the camera is a good thing. I didn't buy the $$$ (almost $$$$) radio, bluetooth, navigation, satellite, backup camera! I just decided I would add an aftermarket BU camera and small screen later. Now is later so let me tug this thread a bit and ask those of you who have done this and really like a unit, what it is? Or if you bought a dud what is that? I have mirrors and back windows and can manage with them so don't bother listing any unit much over $$.
Thanks RD

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
What is this mod of which you speak?
Ms,

KOV hath offered us a way to fake the van into thinking that the rear door is open. If the van thinks the rear door is open, it turns on the backup camera.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64497&postcount=14

As noted, because the van thinks the door is open, there's an occasional beep from the dash, along with a message in the display.... and the cargo light come on until they time out.

A small price to pay for the ability to click on the camera to see what's going on back there! I put my switch on the clipboard just in front of the GPS I mounted there.

Ed

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Rambler,

I believe you're right! Looked it up:

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a proposed rule Monday requiring all new light vehicles — including cars, SUVs, trucks and vans — to have "rear-view visibility systems," in effect, requiring backup cameras. The rule -- which would be final in 60 days -- would start phasing in on May 1, 2016 models and be at 100% May 1, 2018."

1 - 20 of 40 Posts