Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stealth DIY camper has no rear windows. I am thinking of installing internal air conditioning and this would require ventilation louvers in the rear doors in the areas normally having windows. These areas are slightly curved. Does anybody have ideas as to where I might find suitable louvers either metal or plastic?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,476 Posts
google van window louver, I don't believe they are available for Promasters, may need to adapt one from another vehicle.

·
Registered
435 Posts
seapro,
Are you planning AC or ventilation. I've experimented with a louvered rear door vent and a portable one hose AC-it was a complete failure. I also have a single Motion Window on other door that works great for flow through ventilation. Could provide more info if needed.

Reactions: seapro

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roblee --
See post 5 at this thread:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58626
I have plenty of ventilation with 2 Maxxairs. I am thinking of a very small window air conditioner set into the rear wall. The exhausted hot air must then be vented out the rear and provision must be made for cool air to enter. I think I would need louvers on both rear doors. Ideally they should be closable to keep out road dirt that accumulates on the rear when driving. I could possibly make closing pieces to be in place and manually removable when needing to run A/C. When not needing stealth I could leave a rear door open but that would not work in the rain.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phil --
I am thinking as that is a possibility. Problem is seeing them on line does not provide answers. I need to find a "bricks and mortar" place where I can physically see them and they to flex them a bit and hold them up against the read door.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,476 Posts
Try stepvan vents or boat engine vents.

https : // www . millsupply . com / stepvan - parts / vents-and-fans /

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil --
Thanks. Having a half century fussing with boats I can't believe I did not think about boat vents. I just sent an email to Willpak with the problem as they make appropriate vents for other make vans.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm interesting in what your design ideas are for a door AC installation. The cool circulating inside air must be isolated from the outside air that cools the coils so I'd like to understand how boat vents work in this system. I'm looking at the design used by MarkEVOL in the Onan generator thread but I may use the side wall instead of the rear door. His idea isolates the 2 air supplies, provides good support, does not extend outside, and drains condensation well. I'd like to add a passive outside cover maybe something like a large RV fridge vent for a clean outside look. I'll try something by May but it's all theory now.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never said anything about an air conditioner in the rear door. The unit would be installed as a thru wall unit in my internal rear wall to cool the interior with the "outside" part of the unit in the space aft of the internal wall. The door vents would be for outside air to enter and hot air to exhaust.

See post 5 at this thread:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=58626

I want to maintain stealth. No roof unit. A 5000 BTU "window" unit only draws about 5 amps of 115 VAC. I can run this easily for almost an hour off my house battery/inverter. Also I could use it where I can only plug into a 15 amp circuit.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
sea,

You might want to look at an install like this...

Mine (as shown above, in place) are not installed yet but this spring...

Phranc, on the forum put a different style on his...

These are sold as "RV microwave or refrigerator vents"...air flow can be restricted from inside the door.

For more discussions, see Phranc's posts on this thread... http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46177&page=6

ed

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks seapro. Now I understand what your plan is. Bet big closable louvered boat vents would work well. Never saw it done that way before. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did this ever progress? I have been thinking along the same lines, but with a mini-split ductless system; compressor mounted in the rear isolated "garage/utility room" along with house batteries and water (potable and grey) for easy access. Basically, a full-size firewall between the interior space and the rear doors.

There are a few DC mini-split systems currently available.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,476 Posts
Did this ever progress? I have been thinking along the same lines, but with a mini-split ductless system; compressor mounted in the rear isolated "garage/utility room" along with house batteries and water (potable and grey) for easy access. Basically, a full-size firewall between the interior space and the rear doors.

There are a few DC mini-split systems currently available.
The OP no longer has he van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey,

Rear window louvers do not completely block your rear window visibility; you are still able to see out of the rear window with good visibility. Rear window louvers can be removed with ease if you ever need to clean or get to your rear window.

thank me later.:)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I purchased Seapro's van a few years ago and he did end up adding AC. He added two large roof vents (The type that crank up like Fantastic fans), but they were installed where the rear windows would have been. He then built a partition about 15" inside the van blocking off the entire rear area from the front. The window AC was then built into that partition so the rear was basically completely vented and separate from the living quarters. It worked very well, but is no longer built that way as I drastically modified the van. I'll try to find some pictures of it before if I can find them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
... spam...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts