Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The spare tire mounts in a prime space for batteries, tanks, generators, etc. Currently there are no aftermarket rear door spare tire mounts sold for the Promaster. I also could not find one for the Ducato, Jumper, Boxer. There are two options for the Sprinter but the best one is $279 and will not work for our Promaster due to the bolt pattern: http://www.eurocampers.com/2007--2015-Sprinter-Rear-Tire-Carrier-black--for-models-with-4-or-6-cylinder-engine-_p_114.html

Instead of making my own like the Sprinter one Eurocampers sells I decided to source one from another vehicle. The best I found is the factory spare tire carrier for the Jeep Wrangler JK. The JK is the closest match to our Promaster bolt pattern and I am happy to say it fits perfectly.

Parts needed:
Jeep Wrangler JK spare tire mount ($40-$100. I got mine on eBay for $55 shipped)

Spare Tire mount reinforcement kit (not needed but good for piece of mind) (I bought a used kit on Amazon for $20 shipped:

Three 1/2" lug nuts (I purchased locking lug nuts on eBay for $10.98 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131234716020?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

8 M8 2" hex bolts (If using the reinforcement kit)

Optional:
Tire cover of your choice
Rubber gaskets to protect paint. I purchased 6" square rubber sheets from Home Depot and cut them to fit.

I still have to wire the third brake light and lower the license plate so you can see it better.

Here are photos of the installation:

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
That looks pretty good.

May I ask what I am seeing in the last picture of the set? It looks like there is another tow hitch receiver on the left side of the OEM receiver. What is that ?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks pretty good.

May I ask what I am seeing in the last picture of the set? It looks like there is another tow hitch receiver on the left side of the OEM receiver. What is that ?

I bought my Promaster used with a few thousand miles. The previous owner had this extra receiver hitch welded on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great idea !I would hate to lose interior space for batteries, tanks etc.

Do you have pictures of where you mounted your license plate now?
Was it hard to wire the third brake light?
Could you mount the spare tire higher if you didn't have rear windows?

I won't need rear windows so I think mounting it higher would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great idea !I would hate to lose interior space for batteries, tanks etc.

Do you have pictures of where you mounted your license plate now?

Was it hard to wire the third brake light?

Could you mount the spare tire higher if you didn't have rear windows?

I won't need rear windows so I think mounting it higher would be my choice.

I haven't moved the license plate yet but I'm just going to drill two holes in the plastic a few inches lower. We'll see if that holds OK. I also haven't wired the third brake light. I'm just going to splice the wires and check which one is the brake light then connect it. Anyone know which color wire is the brakes?

You could mount it higher but the sheet metal is thin where the window is. I wouldn't mount it up higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the answers to my questions.
I would hate to lose the lighting for the license plate and its perfect placement. The spare won't hang on the right door because of the handle, but it would be nice. Please keep posting your additions to your PM.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the answers to my questions.
I would hate to lose the lighting for the license plate and its perfect placement. The spare won't hang on the right door because of the handle, but it would be nice. Please keep posting your additions to your PM.
I agree. Moving the plate down should not be a problem. I'll be posting more on my build thread very soon:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41018

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Have you considered a tire cover with an integrated license plate bracket and light?

As I recall some custom vans and RVs used them at one time, but now a quick Google search only reveals pictures of the H2 Hummer. And those are too large for a PM tire, otherwise they could be repainted to match van.

If that style of tire cover was still available it may allow more flexibility on where tire can be mounted on door since blocking tag wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't moved the license plate yet but I'm just going to drill two holes in the plastic a few inches lower. We'll see if that holds OK. I also haven't wired the third brake light. I'm just going to splice the wires and check which one is the brake light then connect it. Anyone know which color wire is the brakes?

You could mount it higher but the sheet metal is thin where the window is. I wouldn't mount it up higher.

1) how is the rack holding up?
2) did you relocate the license plate?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It matches close enough. No issues with fitment.

Thanks for bringing this thread back. We are testing a new tire carrier for the Promaster that we will be selling in the very near future. It mounts to the passenger side rear door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply. What do you think the price point will be? Did you place it on the passenger side to avoid license plate conflict only? Seems like that placement is inconvenient since it's the 'main' door that is always opened first to access rear.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yet to be determined. These are being made by a partner of ours. They were designed to work with the Travato, which always has the ladder on the driver side door. Also so you do not have to relocate the license plate.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
If you can create one for the drivers side door, that would be great! I have a ladder on the right rear door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dito. Driver's door preferred. I have a swing-a-way hitch that hinges on the passenger side. Your carrier is designed to fit with door window, correct?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts