Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear door lock quit working about 3 weeks ago. So I had to use the key.
Then a week later all door locks quit. I do not want to take it in as it is a
pain in the rear.
Found a fuse burnt out (under dash). Replaced the fuse and all doors
were back to working except the back. Well I just will use the key for now.

Today I had time to trace the problem. They use 4 wires that are not made
to flex with the constant opening and closing of the door. The problem is at
the passenger inside near the tail light.

I guess one wire broke first and made the rear lock to stop then eventually shorted out the fuse.
Can see this as a problem in cold weather. So if ever your locks quit working,
this is most likely the cause. I soldered the wires back together and used heat shrink. Will see how long it will last. May replace with high quality wire if it happens again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good info. My back door has the same problem for the last 2 months but been way to busy to make an appointment at the nearest dealership over an hour away. Did you add longer leads to try and prevent this in the future?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info. My back door has the same problem for the last 2 months but been way to busy to make an appointment at the nearest dealership over an hour away. Did you add longer leads to try and prevent this in the future?
You need to pull off the back panel and undo the zip tie to add extra wire. There is plenty. Then add a new zip tie.

I guess is how many times you open and close the back door. I use mine for work. Mine is a 2014 model. The wires broke on the two year mark.
The next time it happens, I will replace that small section with a high strand silicone hobby grade wire(s).

In my opinion it is much easier to fix it yourself than take it in. Like I said it is a pain in the rear to take it in.

It is pretty easy to fix once you get started. Good luck!:)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a photo. You have to also take off back panel to feed it more wire to fix it.
In picture you can see the two Philips screws to take small cover off. Take off the
inside pillar cover off too.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Here is a photo. You have to also take off back panel to feed it more wire to fix it.
In picture you can see the two Philips screws to take small cover off. Take off the
inside pillar cover off too.

Love your "Wires will break here". :)

My lock stopped working too, I will check it out today. Strange that I didn't come up with the idea that it is most likely a wire problem in the door hinge. I had an issue with my license plate bulbs and it was a cut wire not too far from the door hinge.

Thank you guys for the valuable info!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Those wires always break, license plate light wires also. Really poor quality wires used, along with a stupid loom system.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Yep, two wires cut and one barely holding,

An hour to fix, the only issue I had was with my wife, she was scared to death to see me mess around with the wires. Had to remind her that I was an electronics teacher for 35 years. ;)

Many thanks, uncubed, for the valuable information, I am sure you made me save a few hundred bucks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My license plate wire finally broke 5 weeks ago after 4.5 years of use. Easy fix on there also. I hardly ever use that door and maybe why it lasted so long.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Great info.
Thanks to all!
This series of posts saved hours of troubleshooting...

Mine broke right at the zip tie at the pivot point. The zip tie was so tight I'm surprised they weren't cut right at the factory. Took 4 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts