Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a stainless one off Amazon as it was priced the best at $275 delivered. I hung it on the back door and it looks good. Someone posted a review on Amazon that they didn't drill the bottom two holes into the door but instead used double sided 3M tape. As much as I don't want to drill the door, I don't think tape is the best thing to mount it. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
That tape is used for holding a bunch of stuff and may work well. I’d put the screws in myself.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Think about the direction of stress. When you climb the ladder, the bottom is pressing into the door. All the bottom mount is doing is keeping it from bouncing when you drive. 4 sq. inches of genuine VHB would be more than enough.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Direction of stress - with 200lb weight on it those feet travel!

I Mounted ladder on a friends E-150 last summer: with ladder flex the foam tape adhesive flopped loose during ladders first use on the next day.... and that was with 5+ in² per side on a aligned/relived aluminum angle bracket foot. He wasn't very concerned, it reglues itself when it relaxes back...

I bought a $13 bottle of UHB/VHB primer for all future uses - if I were to fabricate up new lower 'ladder brackets' there would be a couple of 5/16" wide flange pop-rivets bedded in poly caulk w/ backing washers on each sheet metal mounted 'foot' - in addition to 1-1/2 or 2" wide VHB tape.. It is one of those 'everything was okay right up to when it wasn't' design points.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post pics soon. I just drilled the door and used stainless steel nuts and bolts with washers on the inside of the door instead of the sheet metal screws it came with. Love the look and door doesn't flex with my 165lb weight.
I did drill and tap the door hinge to keep the door/ladder from denting the side body when opened all the way. Used stainless steel 1/4-28 bolts as thats what I had on hand. (I give credit for the hinge tapping to others for it. Incredible door stop idea!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts