Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With only 3 weeks to go before I set sail in my promaster I am trying to tidy up loose ends. I was planning on carrying a collapsable ladder in the van but have decided it takes up far too much space and I will want to access my roof often. Any recommendations on rear door ladders? I was looking at this one https://www.streetsideauto.com/p/su...MI8bLLhIf41wIV27jACh3SwwHNEAQYBCABEgLtyPD_BwE by surco as the price seems right and it will arrive before my 12/26 departure date. any experience or other recommendations?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I don't know much about rear ladders so I can't comment on that one, but I have a collapsible ladder in my van. I haven't had much need for it, but depending on how and where you need to access your roof, having a freestanding ladder might work better so you aren't crawling on top of stuff (solar panels, vents, ect.) to access something on the other end of the roof.

Reactions: ridesteeps

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
ridesteeps it looks good. I don't know anything about them either but they "ain't cheap" I see! And nebuight thats another interesting "toy" if you have the stage space.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
We're still thinking about getting a collapsible ladder just to help wash the roof and solar panels (etc). Rear-door ladders are mainly for roof-top storage access. It depends on what you have in mind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're still thinking about getting a collapsible ladder just to help wash the roof and solar panels (etc). Rear-door ladders are mainly for roof-top storage access. It depends on what you have in mind.
About a month ago I came to the conclusion that 2 bikes, 2 surfboards, 3 snowboards, scuba equipment, plus all the daily essentials I need to live out of my van full time would not all fit inside my vehicle. My original plan was to store surfboards on the roof and everything else inside. However, after looking at safe storage options I decided to put snowboards on the roof in a thule box and surfboards inside. One of my main determining factors was how wet my snowboards are on a regular basis. No matter how much you scape snow off there is still small amounts of water that drip off.

Long story short I see myself climbing up there often to get my boards plus hopefully cleaning large amounts of snow off my solar panels.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
I don't know much about rear ladders so I can't comment on that one, but I have a collapsible ladder in my van. I haven't had much need for it, but depending on how and where you need to access your roof, having a freestanding ladder might work better so you aren't crawling on top of stuff (solar panels, vents, ect.) to access something on the other end of the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JIL0WU?tag=toppro10-20
That's the one I have. It works well for me to access the roof, and I end up using it in the house once in a while. I store mine in the basement (of the van). :D

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,438 Posts
With only 3 weeks to go before I set sail in my promaster I am trying to tidy up loose ends. I was planning on carrying a collapsable ladder in the van but have decided it takes up far too much space and I will want to access my roof often. Any recommendations on rear door ladders? I was looking at this one https://www.streetsideauto.com/p/su...MI8bLLhIf41wIV27jACh3SwwHNEAQYBCABEgLtyPD_BwE by surco as the price seems right and it will arrive before my 12/26 departure date. any experience or other recommendations?
That one looks good. Here's one to look at "NO SHIPPING" it has a platform step at the top. I just use a telescope ladder I hang it in-side on the top half of the rear door. I put it high because my floor space is loaded, but up high it's nothing but air.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-CARGO-LADDER-/162329219014?vxp=mtr&hash=item25cb934fc6

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I went with a roof rack and ladder from American Van. The deck is mahogany and the box on top is a Yakima Skybox. The setup works well for us, just have to watch for low bridges! The Skybox gives us another 20 cubic feet of space.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I don’t have it but this SS one attracts me, no rust.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Ladder-2014-2016-ProMaster/dp/B01LZ33179/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512743741&sr=1-8&keywords=promaster+van+ladder[/ame]

Reactions: ridesteeps

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with a roof rack and ladder from American Van. The deck is mahogany and the box on top is a Yakima Skybox. The setup works well for us, just have to watch for low bridges! The Skybox gives us another 20 cubic feet of space.

Mike
Wow I love the deck idea. Perhaps something for me to add on next year. I actually had that same yakima box and traded it to someone on craigslist for a thule + a little cash. I felt it was a little to high for me but I am still wondering if I made the right decision. Either way I will check out that ladder.
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts

Mike
I really like the look of your set up. What effect does this set up have on MPG? Is it noisy?

·
Registered
28 Posts
About a month ago I came to the conclusion that 2 bikes, 2 surfboards, 3 snowboards, scuba equipment, plus all the daily essentials I need to live out of my van full time would not all fit inside my vehicle. My original plan was to store surfboards on the roof and everything else inside. However, after looking at safe storage options I decided to put snowboards on the roof in a thule box and surfboards inside. One of my main determining factors was how wet my snowboards are on a regular basis. No matter how much you scape snow off there is still small amounts of water that drip off.

Long story short I see myself climbing up there often to get my boards plus hopefully cleaning large amounts of snow off my solar panels.
I am finishing a very similar build too. Winter snowboard base camp, summer MNt bikes and dirtbikes. I went with a 6x12 trailer to tow behind my 159 promaster... holds the shower and toilet plus tons of gear. keeps them safe and doesn't get the "house" wet

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had a ladder like that on my conversion van. They're pretty wimpy. At 200 lb. I didn't feel comfortable climbing it. I'd hate to carry something heavy up it. They also stick out quite far. Eventually it got bent from backing to close to a wall. When I removed it to throw in the junk I was shocked how light it was. Personally, I'd construct a bracket or modify a bike carrier to store a telescoping ladder on the back door or the bumper. It wouldn't take up any more room than a ladder bolted on the door.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Mike
Looks great!!!! Any idea how much all that wood weighs?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The decking weighs between 85 and 100 lbs. It's well worth the added weight, I find it easy to get up there and get around.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts