Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of universal rear door ladders on the internet. Not so many specific to the Promaster high top vans. To those who own such a ladder, would you buy it again, good quality, not so good, recommended types/ brands ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I see lots of universal rear door ladders on the internet. Not so many specific to the Promaster high top vans. To those who own such a ladder, would you buy it again, good quality, not so good, recommended types/ brands ?
This is not a direct answer to your question, but on my Transit I had a Prime Designs ladder that did not require any drilling. It worked great, but it obviously limits access to the roof to that one point, which was surprisingly unhelpful for me trying to brush snow off my front-mounted solar panels.

For my second build I just bought a 10.5’ Xtend ladder (discussed elsewhere on here and available at Amazon). So far it is proving much more useful as I can move it around and easily access any part of the roof.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought one from Amazon and love it. Yes, I would do it again. I needed to make some adjustments on the upper curved bends to make it look level using a conduit bender.
If you don't like silver, you could always get it powder coated. I believe I paid under $300 for it delivered. The top hangs on the door and the bottom you need to drill through the door. They give you self tapping screws but I nut and bolted it with small fender washers to spread the load on the inside of the door.

IMG_2107 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

·
Registered
623 Posts
highly recommend you consider a telescoping ladder over a rear door ladder. i had a rear door ladder on my van for last 15 years and "temporarily" started using a telescoping ladder i had around the house with the van and quickly realized it is 10x more practical than a rear door ladder. with the telescoping ladder i can put it anywhere i need it for easy access to that area of the roof and its pretty compact, takes up little space in the van and its not vertical, its actually much easier to load bikes/kayaks on the roof with the telescoping vs the rear door ladder.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For me, the door ladder is more of an aesthetic thing. I do not have any solar panels or cargo racks on top. This is more for me to get myself above to clean the roof of dirt once in a while.

@ Obrian, so you think my van looks like crap, huh?!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same solution here as afox. So much easier to load things on a traditional slanted ladder vs a vertical one. But the cool look is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts