Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A few weeks ago the outside handle for the rear door stopped working. I could open it fine from the inside. I looked around on the forum and saw that most of the time it was just from a cable being out of place but mine appeared to be in the right spot. I never fixed it and a few days ago I went to shut it and the top latch closed but the middle one didn't and now it's just cracked open. I can't see anything physically keeping the door from closing. I think that somehow the middle latch was maybe partly closed when I shut it.

Does anyone know how to release the top latch? I tried the inner handle and nothing released.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
251 Posts
You need to take the inside panels off to access the assembly and see if any of the linkage has disconnected.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had the dealer replace that rear lock mechanism just last week.

Both the top & mid latches have 3 positions; open / part latched / fully latched. It looks like your mid latch is 1/2 latched. I’m wondering if you can push it fully latched & then it could release?

Also the locking rod might be able to shift by key in the keyhole (old school) rather than fob button. Also might be able to get your fingers around the small rod and pull it (or push) incase the mechanism is not fully unlocking

some photos of mine;

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll go take a look at the linkages and see what it looks like. It looked like everything was in place but I'll take a better look at it tomorrow.

I'll bet fully latching it and then opening it should work for me. I have no idea why I didn't think of that before... Lol, I'll update y'all tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'll go take a look at the linkages and see what it looks like. It looked like everything was in place but I'll take a better look at it tomorrow.

I'll bet fully latching it and then opening it should work for me. I have no idea why I didn't think of that before... Lol, I'll update y'all tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses
Yup; both latches are “3 position”, so you might get lucky if it is latched on the middle position.

🤞 Hope that is all it is. Let us know either way as it can help others

Good Luck Tomorrow !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the door to open! Turns out there was a piece of wood that I couldn't see on the bottom keeping it from closing. I closed the latch all the ways and it opened up!

Now I just have to go back and start looking at the latches and stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts