Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there is a factory place above the spring loaded sliding wire loom harnesses on the rear swing doors that should serve no useful purpose other than to house a set of rear door swing limiters or hold open devices. In wind, I'm very worried about the door getting caught and swung forceably to their stops @ the hinges, and can see that would be a very bad thing. (sprung doors n hinges). UPS here found that out quickly when they first tried out Sprinter vans years ago, 3 of the original prototypes were tried here, the hinge system is similar and you likely won't get a second chance to avoid a big repair bill.

Anyone have any info on the factory system that bolts in back there?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mine have been ripped open by high winds so many times, I have dents on both sides of my van. Wind springs the door open way beyond what you can do by hand. That Ram logo on the door is imprinted in the side of my van. Not joking.

So I'd say the hinge is doing just fine. I should have added rubber bumpers to my van. Oh well, too late for me.

I'm a windsurfer who parks rear facing into high winds all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Up in Death Valley last winter a mini tornado went through the campground. Seriously! It picked up a camp trailer and a picnic table and dropped them about 80 yards away! I arrived within a few minutes and opened my drivers door and it ripped out of my hand and I thought it was going all the way around but it didn’t. Now it opens clear to perpendicular to the van or a bit further, more than any other PM I’ve compared it to. I can’t see damage but something changed. These door hinges are rugged but if there is a product it would be good to have. Perhaps someone in Europe?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts