Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know others have had some rear door handle issues, I am one of them, however I continue to have them. It seems the latch wire comes out of place when trying to open the door. This wire and where it mounts can be found behind the black plastic rectangle on the inside of the back door, so I am aware of how to fix it.

My question is for the people who had theirs fixed, how did they fix it? Mine was JB Welded by the dealer which lasted a couple of months. After it broke, I tried to fix it with what I had on hand, RTV sealant, and that didnt work.

These past couple of months I have dealt with the fact that the handle could pop anytime and need to be fixed, while annoying it could be worse, it could stop working all together...then it did.

Something else has broken in the handle, I assume maybe the wire broke by the latches themselves? The rear doors will now only open from the inside, which is super annoying.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Just did a little repair on the wire, light blue colour the other day.
out of place

and back in place

obviously its going to pop out again, for now Im very gently operating the rear door; and am also interested in a
permanent fix for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found you have to push on the door, to the left of the handle to release some tension on the door. They have also already replaced the latches on the left side due to squeaking. Love my van, but seems they missed on the small things with this van.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Andrew, I have the same problem. Something broke in the latch, and I can only open the door from the inside. farmike, are you able to take a photo of the inside of the latch mechanism? I can't tell what is broken because I'm not quite sure what it is supposed to look like.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The photo attached from Farmike's original photo is annotated to show where the cable normally pops off. Seems the plastic cable stop is flimsy and flexes too much, this is what causes the cable to pop off.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ah, no I don't mean that. That cable is in place. I mean the actual latch mechanism (you have to look inside the door, where the latch is).

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
the photo is from the inside of the door. just pop the rectangular cover beside the door handle to see it.
Im gonna take it to the dealer .

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I had the same problem a couple weeks ago with the rear door handle; a few days later it was the side door handle. Both were replaced on warranty!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the same problem, seems the top latch got moved slightly by a box of freight. I readjusted the door latches and my problem went away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rear Doors

My 3500 diesel is going back to dealership for back door rattles and handle work
As I was cleaning out the back I have a split in the floor pan were spot welds are. I have about had it with this unit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but please post some pictures of the split spot welds (maybe start a new subject so this one about door mechanisms isn't high-jacked).

It's very upsetting to hear about failures of the body structure. Someone else posted about floor crack(s) a while ago. I'd have thought these types of issues would have been sorted out by now since the Ducato body is a ten-year-old design. Maybe it's related to the new factory(?).

thanks

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I took my Promaster into the dealer and they greased it and the problem stop so far. Looks like a white heat proof grease. Todd

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I took my Promaster into the dealer and they greased it and the problem stop so far. Looks like a white heat proof grease. Todd
I saw white grease on the latch mechanism which works, but my van issue is with the cable that moves it. The dealersordered parts to replace it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I took my Promaster into the dealer and they greased it and the problem stop9 so far. Looks like a white heat proof grease. Todd

Can you post a few pictures pointing out exactly where the grease was applied?
That would help out alot of folks on here. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
My employees van is doing the same thing. It's going in to dealer soon for oil change and this is on the list to fix.

I agree with what others of said they need to come up with a better solution than just patching the problem back together.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jut took my van into the dealer to have 7 issues fixed, of the 7, 5 were repeat fixes. I asked the service rep (SR) at the dealership if this handle will be covered if it is broke again, as my warranty is about to expire. He said, no but sometimes they can help out. I really hope they will, because the SR told me straight up they dont have a fix for this problem. They fix it by putting a dab of JB Weld!

I love my van, especially after driving the loner they gave me...a PM City. Sorry City owners, wasnt much of a fan. I now understand what others have said about the instrument cluster being hard to read! Holy cow those numbers are tiny, and I am near sighted. Mirror visibility was also pretty bad. Actually, every vehicle I have driven after owning my PM has bad mirrors. That is one thing they nailed on this van. Anyways, I am ranting about other things....

I really hope FCA steps up and solves this handle issue, because the only solution my dealership gave me was to buy a $5k plus warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
1030 CST 3/8/17
OK,
Seemed to have had a double failure.
The mechanism that is associated with the center latch and the electric lock is overridden by the cable connected to the outside handle. That override seems to have broken inside of the box. Pulling the cable for the outside handle does nothing.

In addition, when that broke, I think the cable to the top latch was under strain and when it snapped back, the keeper up at the upper latch slipped off the lever that pulls the latch.

SO, even when I pulled the inside handle, the upper latch wasn't releasing. Drilled a hole on the inside handle, put a ring in it, put a rope through the ring and ran it out to the inside of my cabinet where it is easy to get to. Now the inside handle opens the door when I pull the rope.

Now to find out if that latch/lock assemble is covered under warranty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not even able to open mine from the inside.. Broke yesterday and I will be taking the inside handle assembly out today to see if something from the outside handle broke off and is jamming the inside handle.
This is doubly annoying for me since I have a cabinet across the back that I have to remove to get to the inside handle to remove it. I left a way to operate it because i had read about issues, but I cannot remove it without taking the cabinet out.

I have a sharpening business and I have a piece of sharpening equipment that slides out the back doors from a space under the cabinet so I can sharpen things with long handles. The cabinet has other equipment on it on usable on the inside.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is at the dealership for this same issue,
couldn't open the back doors from inside or outside using power lock or key.
Seems a lot of us are running into this issue, poor design and cheap plastic components.
Has a warranty notice been issued by Chrysler Fiat?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is going in to the dealer soon for the top latch not releasing, happens 50% of the time......I'm only commenting to show that this is obviously not a fluke problem

·
Registered
227 Posts
since reading this mine started acting up again, last time i adjusted the top latches and it went away for a while

1 - 20 of 24 Posts