Ram Promaster Forum banner

Rear cargo light not working 2015 pmc

PM City 
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jecwow 
#1 ·
My rear cargo light used to work sometimes but now it doesn’t work at all. I have checked the bulb and tested power and have very low voltage to the contacts. I read in another thread that it used a ground to complete the circuit.
Does anyone know where that ground is located? I assume I don’t have a good ground is why it’s not working.
Tried all the positions on the rocker lens and still nothing

#2 · (Edited)
My rear bulb burned out so I bought/installed one of those LED replacement bulbs. One night while camping/sleeping in my van I realized it was always burning though very dimly so I took the bulb out, Yesterday I ordered a LED light bar that is advertised as for closets/under cabinets. It came with a too short USB cord so today I ordered a 12v 5w cigarette plug USB adaptor with an 8 foot cord. The light bar can also use 3 AAA batteries but I didn't want to fool with those. I'll hide the cord as much as possible and put tape over the rest and mount the light bar with double stick tape just above the factory light. There's an on/off switch on the light so it won't turn off until I'm ready to turn it off.

#5 · (Edited)
My rear bulb burned out so I bought/installed one of those LED replacement bulbs. One night while camping/sleeping in my van I realized it was always burning though very dimly so I took the bulb out, Yesterday I ordered a LED light bar that is advertised as for closets/under cabinets. It came with a too short USB cord so today I ordered a 12v 5w cigarette plug USB adaptor with an 8 foot cord. The light bar can also use 3 AA batteries but I didn't want to fool with those. I'll hide the cord as much as possible and put tape over the rest and mount the light bar with double stick tape just above the factory light. There's an on/off switch on the light so it won't turn off until I'm ready to turn it off.
After giving this more thought I decided to go with the AA batteries (thought it was AAA) since I'd have to have the key in the ignition switch and in the On position. The AA batteries should last a good while. I used velcro to attach the light above the factory light. It is a huge improvement since it is so bright and stays on until I turn it off.

#3 ·
My rear cargo light used to work sometimes but now it doesn’t work at all. I have checked the bulb and tested power and have very low voltage to the contacts. I read in another thread that it used a ground to complete the circuit.
Does anyone know where that ground is located? I assume I don’t have a good ground is why it’s not working.
Tried all the positions on the rocker lens and still nothing
Ground is anywhere there is bare metal on the body of the vehicle. Use a voltmeter to check voltage coming in on both wires, then find a good ground using the voltmeter and see if you have the same voltage as that will rule out an issue with the ground wire itself. If theres an issue, find another bolt somewhere and run a short wire as the new ground wire.

Also double check the fuse.

#4 · (Edited)
Got it working again by swapping bulbs in the fixture. At first I thought that the bulb I tested wasn’t any good after I had tested it proving it was. I stuck in the known working socket and it worked. So now I am guessing that it will quit working again.
I do understand that the whole van is ground. I was looking for someone who might know exactly where the ground wire attaches to the body or frame.

#7 ·
I do understand that the whole van is ground. I was looking for someone who might know exactly where the ground wire attaches to the body or frame.
I'm not a pracition of car electronics, but usually the ground of an item is the mounting hardware that attaches it. the blub might have had a dirty socket on the ground end and just moving it might have fixed the problem. that has happened to me several times over the years in this coastal wetness. But, glad it's doing its thing. Next time try taking it out, turning it around and plugging it back in. It might save ya some fiddle-faddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.