Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, i have over 89 000 km on my promaster 1500 and the brakes dont last too long ... 3 set of brakes front and rear.

Last week , i lost all brakes du to over heat ... my van weight over 8200 lbs and i have the standard rear brakes.

Does someone retrofit 2500 hd rear brakes on a 1500 ?

i plan to do it asap but i not find anithing on that :(

any help will be appreciated

i know rear wheel bearing are the same 1500 to 3500, as axle beam too and parking brake.

the 2500 3500 had bigger rear brakes and vented disk, also rear callipers have bigger brakes pads.

i need to know if i swap 2500 disk and calipers on the van ... does caliper bolt on the same calliper holder on the hub?

thanks

Yvan

·
Registered
468 Posts
I bet if you found a local junk yard and you told them what you were planning they may let you try the parts with a choice to bring them back for a full refund or just a small fee for their time just to try it. problem is trying to find one in a junk yard. check car-parts.com in your area

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but no promaster .... nothing ... :(

i have a good dealer near my shop ... i am going tomorrow :)

thanks
Yvan

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Two vital tips:

1. Search any of the mopar parts sellers who sell OEM parts (type Ram promaster 1500 rear brakes" into google and you'll find dozens of them. Each seller uses a piece of mopar software that is basically the factory parts catalog. In this way, you can find the OEM part number for your year 1500, and then see if it's the same part number for a 2500 or 3500. My guess is the rear axles are all identical, but in this way you can be certain. On most of them, you can search by your VIN, which is foolproof.

2. Go to car-part.com. It's a junkyard search engine. There you will everything you might need as a package. Or you can use Rock Auto, but know the OEM part numbers you are looking for - Rock Auto sells a lot of generic parts.

3. Don't even bother using anything but the factory stuff. Anything you might buy from Autozone is crap. You'll end up doing 3 brake jobs in 85,000k!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
find nothing used here in canada at good cost, they sell used parts the same $ as new
i found all parts at my dealer to make conversion ... now waiting for my boss :)

as soon as i install the kit i will post parts needed with mopar parts number.

yes 3 set of front brakes in 85 000km ... rear are used more than 80%, for the second set.

i use walker hd pads in front, they do well but noisy, the last were oem dodge, inner pads broken, cracking and unglued from steel plate ... not good for a 285$ front brake set.

Yvan

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
I just replaced my front pads & rotors at 73k miles.they could have easily gone another 10k miles but inspection time is near. Front pads $35 front rotors (vented) $105 a pair. The rears still look like new, got them from Amazon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3000 km on big rear brakes .... PERFECT FIT, no modifications to do, just swap parts ... now i can brake without fading.

:)

parts needed on attachment ( canadian $ )

pics of parts comming soon

Yvan

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is it an accurate summary that the 1500 has solid rear rotors and smaller (at least narrower clamping range), and the 2500 and 3500 have vented rear rotors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts