Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
It would be difficult loading that version with the bikes so high up.
Its easier than loading onto a car roof rack. You just grab the bottom of the front fork and the seat tube down near the crank and lift.

I'm not sure I like the top/seat tube holding clamp idea (excatly what does it clamp onto?) I'd like to see more pictures of how it works. How would one carry a mtb and road bike for example. They can have drastically different sloping top tubes. I prefer the styles that clamp the front tire (Thule T2) or downtube (Yakima raptor.) Those are more bike design agnostic.

Edit: posted while Scalawag was typing. How DOES the top clamp work?
It’s not that easy, because you are trying to hold the bike from rolling off the tray while attaching the top mount with one hand. And getting the straps around the wheels while they are being smushed by the bike tires. It’s a little awkward even with mine and mine is way lower. I still think it’s the best rack for cargo vans out there.

The first top clamp holds the first bikes seat tube. The second top clamp rotates down over the first bike and holds the second bikes top tube. The wheel straps keep the bikes from rolling off the trays. Simple and secure just awkward

·
Registered
65 Posts
It’s not that easy, because you are trying to hold the bike from rolling off the tray while attaching the top mount with one hand. And getting the straps around the wheels while they are being smushed by the bike tires
I use similar tray type holders for my cars. Once you get it up there you have to hold it w/ one hand while getting the clamp on and also do the whole tire strap thing. I can't use the typical fork clamp mounts as I have bolted 20mm thru-axles on the 29ers.
Can you take a pic of the top clamp in action? I can't see how it will work w/ low top-tube bikes like RDinNHandAZ posted a page back (or two bikes w/ greatly varying top tubes. Some tri-bikes have odd shaped top & seat tubes too.) Do they swivel and have the ability to grab a seat post instead?

81 - 85 of 85 Posts