Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just sold a BMW motorcycle with modern technology and about 11K miles on it for $3800. Thats a real 1200cc machine with 100 hp and the quality to do an around-the-world trek. You mean with that money and another $1200 I could buy a good bicycle? The BMW had full suspension too. I’m living a fantasy World aren’t I?
I concede my $180 rack is “rather inexpensive” Who knew? I now feel shamed.
One observation I've made since I ride MTB and a little bmx. MTB and road bikes are crazy expensive. Bmx bikes not so much. The average bmx bike is $500 and $700 - $1000 is the high end. Obviously it is more nuanced than this and I know there is probably more technology put into the MTB and road bikes but it really is mostly about who is buying the bikes. Doctors, lawyers (money people) are buying Mtb and road bikes. In general people with no money are buying bmx. That's why the prices are so different. They charge what they can get away with.

Now I'll stop hijacking this thread.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,998 Posts
Well my cheap asp bike carrier came today (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074ZQWPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I think it is great. Most bike racks swing away to only one side but this one does both (or either) I can open either or both rear doors with the bikes attached. It is a marvel!
Here it is closed up.

Here it is with my new 7 speed folder on it.

Here it is extended away from the van, just a big T bar bolt to loosen and a safety pin to pull.

Here it is swung for the right door, swing it the other way for the other door.

All very smooth and easy. Seems quiet closed too as there is an anti-rattle bolt for the hitch, and the T bolt keeps it all snug.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I now find myself looking for a bike rack. I almost ordered a Kuat, but took a closer look and realized there was a problem opening the doors. It's been awhile since this thread has seen any activity, any updates on the Rockymounts Backstage?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I love this stuff, let's see some pictures. I use an RV rack that bolts on the passenger rear door, allows the use of the doors without moving anything and can hold four bikes. And can't be easily removed by a crack head in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
551 Posts
. . . realized there was a problem opening the doors.
I use an RV rack that bolts on the passenger rear door, allows the use of the doors without moving anything and can hold four bikes. And can't be easily removed by a crack head in the middle of the night.
We were going to use the Fiamma passenger rear-door rack, but at the last moment elected to go with the new made-for-Winnebago rack. It holds two bikes and allows full swinging of the back doors (well, until the bikes, themselves, contact the passenger side of the van at about 100 degrees of swing). One of its features - - over which Obrian has an understandable concern - - is the fact that it can easily be removed. We like this feature and believe we've solved this problem by replacing 2 of the 4 thumb screws with RAM locking thumb screws. Only time will tell.

The design seems solid with the 'force of mounting' - - at the four thumb-screw attachment points - - being well reinforced by substantial 'backing-plates' on the inside of the door outer-skin.

Now, having said this, we were 'horrified' to park next to a Travato owner (with this same rack) where the 'folded-over' outer skin of the passenger rear door (this is the inside/center edge immediately adjacent the corresponding inside edge of the driver-side rear door) - - had 'pulled-off' from the remainder/frame of the door leaving an obvious/visible crack. Fortunately for this owner, his bike rack was part of the original Travato purchase and will be covered under warranty.

Conclusion? While very happy with the rack, we keep a watchful eye on that door seam. For our two, not excessively light, Giant bikes, the rack works well.

Here is a link to our original post of this addition: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=569881&postcount=125

·
Registered
452 Posts
That rack is really nice I thought about and talked to Winnebago about ordering it, until I convinced myself it was way to much money. I just love how the bike trays slide in when not in use. My trays like to try and knock me down if I’m not careful closing my door. Lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rockymounts Backstage

After convincing myself it would work on my van, I bought a Rockymounts Backstage rack.

The good news
I'm happy to report the rack works well with the Promaster. You can load two bikes and it swings to the side of the van, permitting access to the back and side doors. There is ample clearance to open the rear doors (with my heavy duty Curt hitch). The side door is a bit tight with longer mountain bikes, but there is plenty of play in the extended rack, to guide the slider behind the wheel of the inner bike.

The bad news
The rack sits very close to the rear doors so that if you put a Mt Bike with wide bars on the inner tray, the handle bars will hit the door. A simple hitch extension should fix this problem. A hitch extension will also eliminate any overlap with the side door.

Winnebago Rack
I have also seen a van with the Winnebago rack, pulling the seam between the inner and outer skins of the door apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,998 Posts
I have my Henniger rack and the two folders in AZ and since I like to ride around the campsite and nearby in NH too I finally broke down and bought a pair of 7 speed Dahon Boardwalk bikes of a few years age. The current Boardwalks are single speed and I had to search a bit. I needed a new carrier. See Post 57 and 62. I got publicly shamed for buying a rack that hung the bikes although it has been great and it scissor folds out of the way of the doors.
This time I decided to stand proud and support the bikes on their tires. I bought a Capstone rack with a swivel and a tilt option in hopes the little Dahons would fit and I could get the door open. It worked- just barely. The rack was on sale at Amazon for $108 w/shipping and it is amazingly well thought out and built!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1304WW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here it is swiveled to let the right door open:

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Anyone try this rack? https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/van-accessories/bike-racks/thule-elite-van-xt-ducato-_-302013

Price is steep but I like the idea on paper. The doors are already a "swing out" mechanism, so why not take advantage of them? Any thoughts?
I have that fiamma except I bought the version for an RV that bolts to the door and the bikes are lower. It's nice being able to use the doors like normal with bikes loaded up. It would be difficult loading that version with the bikes so high up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have that fiamma except I bought the version for an RV that bolts to the door and the bikes are lower. It's nice being able to use the doors like normal with bikes loaded up. It would be difficult loading that version with the bikes so high up.
Follow-up, I did end up getting that Thule rack. It's awesome. You can mount the bikes at three different heights depending on your preference / what bikes you're using and the 'trays' for the wheels slide and adjust super easily to get everything secure. No complaints at all, well worth the money. Glad I jumped on the back-order early because it is seemingly always sold out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It would be difficult loading that version with the bikes so high up.
Its easier than loading onto a car roof rack. You just grab the bottom of the front fork and the seat tube down near the crank and lift.

I'm not sure I like the top/seat tube holding clamp idea (excatly what does it clamp onto?) I'd like to see more pictures of how it works. How would one carry a mtb and road bike for example. They can have drastically different sloping top tubes. I prefer the styles that clamp the front tire (Thule T2) or downtube (Yakima raptor.) Those are more bike design agnostic.

Edit: posted while Scalawag was typing. How DOES the top clamp work?

·
Premium Member
6,998 Posts
Yea but don’t they cost more than $108? And they carry two bikes like my Capstone right?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts