Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

Registered
No not yet but I did just get access to a mig and some fabrication tools. I sold my fab tools years ago.
Only bike that may work for you that I know of is a plated Honda 650.馃徏
Thanks Obrian,
Do you have a motorcycle hauler on the back of your rig.? Forgot that I bought the vantech ladder that goes in the back. I suppose I could install on the drivers side. Think I saw a pic of someone who did this. It wasn鈥檛 attached to a roof rack but was bolted to the side of the promaster. I鈥檒l look for the pic.
Ok found it. What do y鈥檃ll think? Stick out to far? I鈥檒l post a new thread for this topic I think.

Attachments

Registered
The model has been since 2006 I believe. Is there a known problem of being hung up?
Never hear of a problem of rear axle. The others are just as low but sharper (Rear pumpkin and/or shocks).
If any of these get hung up, the axle will have a better chance of sliding over than others mentioned.
People seem to forget, this van is a cargo/work van to drive on the street, first and foremost. Everyting we do to it basically isnt the reason it was built. It wasnt built to live in.... Customers adapted that plan, not ram. The cargo carrying capacity is great for on the street and the rear axel clearance is fine for the street. Its not a off road vehicle without alot money and work.
Now, it would be cool in future models if they mabey redesgined a few things, but the majority of vans sold are used toc arry cargo, still.

Registered
People seem to forget, this van is a cargo/work van to drive on the street, first and foremost. Everyting we do to it basically isnt the reason it was built. It wasnt built to live in.... Customers adapted that plan, not ram. The cargo carrying capacity is great for on the street and the rear axel clearance is fine for the street. Its not a off road vehicle without alot money and work.
Now, it would be cool in future models if they mabey redesgined a few things, but the majority of vans sold are used toc arry cargo, still.
I don't think anyone forgot...but then this forum wouldn't exist if we all drove around with boxes inside.

Registered
Off Highway Van uses an adapter/lowering plate to lower where the hub attaches (which raises the van). I think their kit raiser the rear about 2.5鈥-3鈥.

Registered
Wonder if anyone has tried running the leaf springs under the axle (would lower several inches) and adding longer shackles to adjust the height back up to desired. Basically the reverse of a Jeep-like 'Spring Over Axle' conversion.

Registered
Putting the leafs under the axle then installing shackles to get the ride height back to normal would just put the axle right back to where it was, only, the leaf mounts would be way lower.
There wouldn't be much point to that process.
The only thing that really affords ground clearance is taller tires. And you can only go so tall on these vans.
The amount of money and modification it would take to gain minimal ground clearance and off road capability doesn't seem worth it to me. No matter what you do, it's still a fwd delivery van. It will still be very limited. For the amount of money it would take to mod the promaster, I'd fork over the extra cash for a 4x4 sprinter. And even that has it's limits and doesn't seem worth the expense.
But, I don't plan on being off road in the Rockies in mid Dec with a van, or driving off-road in a swamp.
So that's just me.

Registered
Putting the leafs under the axle then installing shackles to get the ride height back to normal would just put the axle right back to where it was, only, the leaf mounts would be way lower.
There wouldn't be much point to that process.
Oh, I was thinking of it as a way to drop the rear end an inch or two to get the van level. Not add ground clearance. Sorry, was thinking outloud in the wrong thread this morning. FWIW, I have searched and found people mentioning doing an axle-over conversion but no pictures or real proof anyone has done it.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts