Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2014 Ram Promaster 2500 High Roof I'm converting and I want to cover the whole interior with insulation, wood etc. Then I was working on the rear passenger side cargo area and I found this 12V power socket. I really don't want or have any need to plug into the battery from the rear of the cargo and I'd rather stuff some wool or other insulation into the sides and get rid of the black covers on the interior corners. They're all beat up anyway.

Unfortunately this 12v Aux Power Outlet is in the way. How can I disconnect it? Can I just cut the wire and pull the socket and panel out? I don't care about it at all. Does it disconnect at some point?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If I didn't know what fuse it was, I'd plug something into it and pull fuses until it turned off. Then cut the wires, screw a wire nut on the end and bury it. I'd wire nut or tape it in case the fuse runs something else that you want back in operation and need to put the fuse back in.
Be mindful of how permanent you make the coverings where the black plastic panels are. You still need to get in there for tail light access.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I haven't really dug into mine yet either.
I wanna say there's fuses under the dash, lower left of steering wheel and I feel like there's some in the lower B pillar behind pass seat.
I'm sure someone will be along that knows for sure.
Or has a better idea on how to disable the 12v plug.

·
Registered
2016 136 low, w/u-haul package
171 Posts
I’m more nterested in knowing how I can find switched 12V in the rear to power a trailer light multiplexer.

[ QUOTE="RnR, post: 696781, member: 207494"]
I haven't really dug into mine yet either.
I wanna say there's fuses under the dash, lower left of steering wheel and I feel like there's some in the lower B pillar behind pass seat.
I'm sure someone will be along that knows for sure.
Or has a better idea on how to disable the 12v plug.
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
454 Posts
Trailer towing module is mounted behind drivers side. Fuse for trailer module is in battery compartment.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
232 Posts
The plug will just pull off the DC socket. The plug has female contacts, just tieback it will be fine. There are dozens of unconnected plugs thru the PM, no need to cut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not know that, maybe I just need to get more of the dirt out of the compartment. I'll be playing around with it again next weekend. Will report back.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
872 Posts
So I'm guessing the wire is there even though my van didn't come with the outlet. I could use an outlet back there so will have to look around for it.

·
Registered
2016 136 low, w/u-haul package
171 Posts
Yes, but I don’t have the outlet, and figure an unused connector that’s hot when key is on, is dangling about somewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes, but I don’t have the outlet, and figure an unused connector that’s hot when key is on, is dangling about somewhere.
As the van’s electrical system is run by a CAN BUS it may not be on. To activate it might require a visit to the dealer. Let us know please.
The wire would be behind the tall narrow corner plastic panel on the right side of the back doors.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,243 Posts
As I read the OP I'm thinking why not just remove the fuse and annotated it somewhere.

·
Registered
386 Posts
... I would simply take out the fuse ... it's F9 under the hood (15amp) ... it's the only load on that fuse... ~ S

Reactions: RnR

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good to know. I wanted to repurpose that circuit and it's good to know there's nothing else on it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
if you don't have the accessory power package then the wire isn't connected to anything, don't worry about it. You can find the unplugged end under the passenger door step. Kind of where the up fitter harness would be if you had that harness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts